Sharp Practice by IPC Magazines

pinkfoot1

I am sure that I'm not alone on this forum with members who subscribes to various publications from IPC Magazines. Between myself and the Memsahib we subscribe to some six publications, all initially ordered on-line and paid for by Direct Debit.

Each year, about a month before the renewal anniversary, I receive notification that my subscription, to whatever magazine is pertinent at that time, is about to be automatically renewed and the new payment of £xx.xx will be automatically collected from my account.

I then go on line and discover that through MagazinesDirect (part of IPC Magazines) I can make a considerable saving by cancelling my Direct Debit, closing the existing account then re-ordering anew.

I feel that this practice on behalf of IPC is an underhand, sneaky method of overcharging for their products and despite writing and telephoning them on the subject they always fail to provide any sensible, honest solution.

I wonder how many of you feel as I do - those with regular subscriptions would be well advised to check how much they are paying, over and above the best deals available on line.

Ah! That feels better

Non illegitimis carborundum

A bit like insurances Ect they all assume we're lazy and won't shop around and basically we are ! :lol:

I get my shooting times subscription at the game fair each year, I pay cash so that they don't get my bank details and therefore can't automatically renew. There is usually an offer and you get a bottle of whiskey. To be honest, even then it's not really worth the money but it is the industry standard.

Another little scam is garages that send you reminders for services etc about three months before they are due in the hope that you will book straight away and end up having five annual services in four years.

A bit like insurances Ect they all assume we're lazy and won't shop around and basically we are ! :lol:

Getting off my arse this time around saved me over £300 on a 3 vehicle multi-car policy - that is around 40% less than the renewal quoted by my old insurer!

As far as the glossy magazines go, I gave them up years ago starting with Shooting Times and finishing with Shooting Gazette - never even bothered with that Blaze offering Sporting Rifle...

I can make a considerable saving EVERY YEAR by cancelling my motor insurance and house/home cover as you get less rewards for staying with them than a new customer gets :doh:

So each year i say no then call them up and get The same thing £hundreds of pounds cheaper go figure !!:cuckoo: you would think hmm Mr smith has been with us for x years we can reduce his policy but nahh Doh!! we can get more out of him this year cos he never shops around, the bloody sharks :-|

Back