Discovery immobiliser problem any ideas?

stratts

Chaps,
Me and a mate bought a Discovery as a farm run around but the battery died on it! We got a new one, charged it up but when we fitted it the old girl won't turn over.

For some reason the key fob won't work now (it has new battery) so I'm not sure what to do to get it running again?!

Is there an easy way to bypass the immobiliser as I think that's what's stopping it from going?

Or is it something easy that I'm not doing?!

Any ideas?

Cheers

Stratts

There are sequences you can go throughout to reset it. I gather they vary depending on the year and model of Discovery.

Do a search for such things on landyzone or one of the other landrover fora, there are a many posts that make reference to them

You can download the workshop manuals for most of them. And there is a computer version for PC, unfortunately no good for mac unless you boot up in Windows with boot camp :(

My (new to me) old 1996 tdi 300 central locking does not operate and I have tried various of the sequences but haven't got it sorted yet. I think the immobiliser has been immobilised, nothing happens on pressing the key fob, so I am saving it for a long summer evening to track it all down! Starts and runs okay but unnerving when you don't know what is up.

Alan

Last edited:
Found this in my manual, or rather I should say Billh's manual "what he lent me".

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
There are sequences you can go throughout to reset it. I gather they vary depending on the year and model of Discovery.

Do a search for such things on landyzone or one of the other landrover fora, there are a many posts that make reference to them

You can download the workshop manuals for most of them. And there is a computer version for PC, unfortunately no good for mac unless you boot up in Windows with boot camp :(

My (new to me) old 1996 tdi 300 central locking does not operate and I have tried various of the sequences but haven't got it sorted yet. I think the immobiliser has been immobilised, nothing happens on pressing the key fob, so I am saving it for a long summer evening to track it all down! Starts and runs okay but unnerving when you don't know what is up.

Alan
As long as it isn't a 'fly by wire' model, ie late 300's or autos, you can get a 'spider bypass' from Devon 4x4. To check if your non auto is fly by wire, look at the injector nearest the bulkhead, if there is a single wire coming out, it's fly by wire (also hellishly expensive to replace the injectors)
Inside the passenger kick plate, is a 'green' box, make sure all connections are good, as it's this box that sends a signal to the ecu to power up (fbw)
if it's a normal one, put 12v to the fuel shut off solenoid on the pump, and 12v to the spade terminal on the starter, that'll get you going.

Pete

Model and year will help.
Ifs it an early 200tdi try taking the fuse out that powers the central locking and immobilser-alarm not sure what number it is as not had a disco since 2000 but it became a problem for LR as became evident to car thiefs thats all you had to do to by pass the expensive alarm they fitted in the early days.
Sure you will sort it easy.

If its a disco 1 or 2 you can deactivate the imobiliser using the 4 digit security code in the handbook. The method is in the drivers handbook.

depending on model

Disco 1 and 2 , code in handbook or clip immob cable and join the switch cables together...
Disco 3 , now you have three options with these depending on the model. but the most common problem is the coding between fob and cpu and that can be changed and sorted for £80 at any landy dealer. :)

In South Africa they are known as the Landrover Recovery due to their habit of being towed home. On the up side that can really help with the MPG.

:) Good Luck

Ha ha cheers fella's I have no idea which one it is and can't remember the year as it was bought as an MOT failure to keep on the farm by my mate!!

Will check tmoro but I have something to go on now,

Cheers

If it's a 300tdi 95model year to 98. The 'spider' unit is normally under the radio. Take the radio out and there is a little green box with 8 black wires going into it. Hence spider unit. Take the unit out. Take out the circuit board and normally you will see one soldered part of the board burnt a little. Re solder that pin and this will get you going for the mean time. Otherwise it's a different kit that you replace the spider with.

We we have done loads of these over the years

jon

Cheers chaps we got it going by bypassing the immobiliser and banging a 12v feed straight to the starter. As it's just a farm runabout I'm going to fit a relay and switch like this permanently in the mtor, with a kill switch on the battery and rip out all the unwanted fuses and electrics!!

Apparently according to a friend it's quite rare to see a 3 door 95 plate tdi, it's just a pity it's been battered by the previous owner!!

Cheers

Righto chaps help needed again with the wiring of a push button switch and kill switch, coz I can't for the life of me get my head round what I need to do, even though I used to wire them on my old stock cars!!

I have a kill switch, relay and push button start. Am I best to bypass all the wiring on the motor or still utilise the ignition switch for the live?

I'm thinking maybe it's best to leave the existing wiring as is so I don't jeff up the charging from the alternator, and just fit the push button in line somehow to crank the starter!

Any ideas please or a simple wiring diagram I can follow. The ones I've googled are too complicated!!

Cheers

Stratts

Just run a fused live via a dash switch to the pump, and a live off the switched side, via your start switch, to the starter solenoid. Flick off the first one to kill engine. Use key to deactivate steering lock, and activate power for normal supplies, this way, if your std ignition switch plays up, it will keep running.

Pete

Ha ha cheers fella's I have no idea which one it is and can't remember the year as it was bought as an MOT failure to keep on the farm by my mate!!

Will check tmoro but I have something to go on now,

Cheers
you cant miss it stratts its the one in the corner keeping quiet ,i hope that thing your going on is a bike !:rofl:

Back