Which credit card

jonny.c

Looking at getting a credit card due to change of jobs, well hope to start my own work shop up what have you guys found good and bad with the plastic???

One that gives you cash back for using it and a low % , also not with a bank that is anti shooting !!!

Tesco, you get a level of Clubcard points for using it on all purchases outwith Tesco store purchases. Pay everything on it and settle up at the end of the month.

I use 3 cards Tesco, M&S and Barclaycard... choose the one that offers the longest interest free period then before the end of the term transfer the balance to another that offers 0% on balance transfers and another term of interest free. You can play it so that you never pay any interest, just a nominal transfer fee. Plus as already mentioned you can get reward points to offset against your weekly shopping bill.

Martin Lewis's website has a comparison chart of the best current deals and offers.

It would be used as a float for parts and wages if i need it that is ?

thanks tho for the info and advice just hate possible being in someone elses pocket

Jonny - I'd give a negative for Barclaycard - I had an 'Egg' card which was excellent but when Barclays took over it fell off a cliff - blocked every time I ventured abroad, call centres hosted on mars I believe and zero customer service.
I really liked Egg.
Guess it got scrambled in the takeover......... :coat:

My advice would be don't and pay as you go.

I would normally agree with this but with a credit card your purchases are protected.... if you book flights on a credit card and the airline goes tits-up you can get your money back. Pay on a debit card and that's you several hundreds out of pocket.

If you use them responsibly and pay the balance on time you can use them to your advantage.

If you have any problems with a purchase it's good to have a decent company on your side.

Indeed, plus if you pay it off each month you get a month's free credit plus Clubcard points to spend so effectively you get cash rewards for them providing you with free credit.

If you dont have the self-control not to spend willy-nilly cos "it is on the card, so not real" then clearly dont get a card.

I have several cap 1 mint Barclays and mbna I use them for interest free transfers the last being Barclays 24 mths 0% interest 3% fee far cheaper than any bank loan and then I don't use them except now and again to keep the card open and yr credit rating good but just pay it off straight away .just be strict and don't max em and not pay !

Thats the best advise, i pay mine off before I ow them money that way i get cash BACK just use'g there card for shopping and fuel.also means i get a small % off each item i buy :D

My advice would be don't and pay as you go.

I have a MasterCard and a couple of Visa cards. One visa just for fuel. They are all on direct debit so are paid off at the end of the month.

The guarantee mentioned above is useful although I have never had to use it...anything you buy, in this country at least, is covered because you have purchased it from the CC company and it is their responsibility that you receive what you have paid for.

They are much cheaper and more convenient for me than paying by cheque or cash. I don't have any debit cards.

The only time there was a security problem the Co-op telephoned me to query an odd purchase for 1 euro followed by the booking of a Swiss chalet holiday...they froze the card and subsequently replaced it, and four years later I still haven't learnt the new numbers. :( That is the only incident in around 30 years of having them and buying a lot of bits and pieces for the business both off and on-line.

Like rifles and mobile phones and stuff, really useful if you use them sensibly!

Alan

Last edited:
This is not true
While credit card purchases are protected under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act, debit card purchases don't qualify for this protection simply because they don't form part of a credit agreement.
However, most debit card providers are starting to offer a form of protection when you make purchases using your card.
You have some protection for purchases made using Visa, Visa Electron, MasterCard and Maestro debit cards, through something called Chargeback. (There is a similar purchase protection scheme in place for Amex charge cards.)
The scheme makes it possible for you to claim a refund if a purchase made using your debit card is unsatisfactory, if you are billed multiple times, if you don't receive goods you've paid for, or if your card is used fraudulently.
You can claim a refund for any amount of money so it can also be invoked if you have problems with a credit card purchase over £30,000 or under £100 in value.
Remember that any protection offered isn't a legal obligation (like Section 75 for credit cards) but an in-house rule: this means that the exact rules for chargeback schemes vary by card provider, so you should make sure you are aware of your debit card's chargeback rules.
If you want to make a claim, you'll have to contact the bank who provided you with the card within 120 days of when your goods should have been delivered. If the goods are faulty or your card was used fraudulently, contact your bank within 120 days of when you are first made aware of this.
Ask them to initiate the Chargeback process and a dispute will be opened by your bank, who will investigate the matter and refund your money when this is settled.
If your Chargeback claim fails, you can take it to the Financial Ombudsman Service within six months of being notified.
I would normally agree with this but with a credit card your purchases are protected.... if you book flights on a credit card and the airline goes tits-up you can get your money back. Pay on a debit card and that's you several hundreds out of pocket.

If you use them responsibly and pay the balance on time you can use them to your advantage.

I have a Santander card which pays 3% cash back on fuel, 2% cash back on department stores and 1% at supermarkets. I use it for all my spending and pay it in full at the end of the month, this means my money stays in the bank where i get 3% interest, over the year it adds up to a fair few quid which is better in my account than someone else's. The protection aspect is also useful, many years ago I got over a £1000 back from egg after I bought a computer that had problems and the company folded.

Back