badger cull

as far as I was aware it has now been stopped once more
any chance you can highlight the subject a little more trouble, just incase I may be wrong

On the local news last night here.
A couple of interesting phrases were
"cattle farms" and "trained marksmen"
Wonder who is going to be running the "trained marksmen" course?
And how do they expect to localise badgers?

Atb Steve

This should open up a whole new debate as to whether they will be classed as vermin or do you need to get 'badger' specified on your ticket, and then what is an ideal badger calibre :lol:

The news also mentioned there would only be 10 licenses up for grabs and you had to cull over a certain amount of area which would be larger than a single farm so farmers would need to work together. Which also means that all the urban badgers and those hidden on smaller rural private dwellings will probably be missed.

It would be best for the government to set out the areas (after getting info from farmers) and if your farm/permission is in that catchment area you should be automatically entitled to cull them.

I would urge caution - Bryan May hasn't stuck his interfering Bohemian oar in yet.

Him and his "good life" incomers to West Wales really went to town when the Assembly decided to conduct a cull last year and had the whole thing cancelled. The fact that the exercise would have provided evidence whether or not future, more widespread culls would be effective was completley ignored by May and his gang of brockofile good lifers. I could go on...:evil:

Last edited:
This should open up a whole new debate as to whether they will be classed as vermin or do you need to get 'badger' specified on your ticket, and then what is an ideal badger calibre :lol:

Already covered mel. ;)

HO Guidance

Badgers
14.21 The Protection of Badgers Act 1992
makes it a criminal offence to kill or injure
badgers except in limited circumstances
(for example, as a mercy killing, as an
incidental result of a lawful action or under
a licence issued by DEFRA). If badgers are
to be shot, this must be done with a
smooth-bore weapon of not less than 20
bore or a rifle using ammunition having a
muzzle energy of at least 160 foot pounds
and a bullet weighing not less than 38 grains.

Is anyone enthused by the prospect of shooting badgers? I've seen the cull plans referred to on other forums as potentially opening up a whole new sporting opportunity, almost like wild boar.

I would cull badgers (legally of course) if I was paid to or if a farmer mate asked me to (again legally) on his behalf. However, I can't see there is much sport to be derived from shooting a fairly large, slow moving, inedible animal.

Cheers,

Bob

Only one thing transports TB on to farms previously clear and thats humans ! Shooting badgers wont make a **** of difference they need to get the test they carry out perfected first of all !

Is anyone enthused by the prospect of shooting badgers? I've seen the cull plans referred to on other forums as potentially opening up a whole new sporting opportunity, almost like wild boar.

I would cull badgers (legally of course) if I was paid to or if a farmer mate asked me to (again legally) on his behalf. However, I can't see there is much sport to be derived from shooting a fairly large, slow moving, inedible animal.

Cheers,

Bob
Billy brock soup ??? Billy brock shaving brush ?? With Bill odie as a backer ? :lol::lol::lol:

It makes me laugh the whole thing, they are hardly endangered are they? so why do they need protection other than that of game animals say.

Back