High Seats

6pointer

How high is to high and would you say some are to low. I had a chap look at this and say that's not for me lol

highseatandswanslol014.jpg

How low is to low.

highseat-1.jpg

Last edited:
Taller the better as far as I'm concerned - see further, better shot angle, more background cover from the crown of the trees.

Mind you, the little one has a nice paint job - much nicer than the usual shade of Rust.

Last edited:
have a very high one left by a previous stalker a double with about 3 extensions it is brilliant with foot rests and padded seat ,one of my lads wouldnt go up he's 11 said it was too high ! i hate heights too but ok once i'm settled :dummy:

i think it boils down to a few factors really i build them to peoples needs at the moment i have a lad wanting a 4mtr seat but my usuall design is 3mtrs but i make 2mtr ones for forestry blocks where everything has been removed to that height that way you are low enough to see under the canopy but still have an elevated shooting position so you always have a good backstop ,atb wayne

Those look positively luxurious to me ! Jayb provides an old fertiliser bag to sit on and sends me 7 metres up the nearest sitka! :scared:

One at the top is not too high, I have sat of 6-8m high seats and higher towers. I just hate shooting down, when the deer comes under the seat... :oops:

Those look positively luxurious to me ! Jayb provides an old fertiliser bag to sit on and sends me 7 metres up the nearest sitka! :scared:

I much prefer to sit ON those sitka once you have put a saw through them and got them on the ground!

Davie, is there a parachute with that tall one?

John

Sadly know there is not but the ladder is solid steel and i did not want to waist it so it will stay that tall the view is special over the wood land the deer look like small ants giving you a very testing shot. Please remember your lev 1 question what will happen to your POI when shooting up or down a steep hill.

Is the bottom one home made or is it bought one? If its home made do you have plans for the seat.

Andrew

I dont think either are too high or too low, however both appear to have an arkward angle to the rifle rest, which may make a close in shot difficult to attain without getting your bum out of the seat.

Personally, I like wooden closed in high seats, (if I ever do use them), giving the luxury of being out of the elements for a while.....most of the time, i'll use whatever rest I can and remain mobile.

One of my contraptions made of rough-sawn oak and half of an alloy extension ladder.
The rungs will be about a foot apart and a threaded rod goes through one of the hollow rungs to secure the top section.
HWH.

P1010213.jpg

Sadly know there is not but the ladder is solid steel and i did not want to waist it so it will stay that tall the view is special over the wood land the deer look like small ants giving you a very testing shot. Please remember your lev 1 question what will happen to your POI when shooting up or down a steep hill.
Any PIKEY's around Davey :-|

Gaz if they can lift it mate they can bloody have it mate lol. The second one was not homemade but at 149 you would be hard pushed to build a totally portable high seat for that.

much rather use the tall one the lower one looks to be leaning on a rotten tree is this another 6p trick question;)

RDR No trick question and there is nowt wrong with that tree mate i just cut the top off it stops it blowing in the wind and stops unnecessary movement when taking a shot.But i do prefare the big wooden ones for sitting in.

Yeh, the tall one is my preference, looks taller due to the embankment i think, but the birch tree with the short one looks as if it will colapse anytime.

It won't collapse, I have been in a high seat against the very same tree and despite me being a touch portly :D the tree was solid. Your right though it looks nowhere near as substantial as it is.

John

It won't collapse, I have been in a high seat against the very same tree and despite me being a touch portly :D the tree was solid. Your right though it looks nowhere near as substantial as it is.

John

Portly... you mean insulated for the winter months ;)

Back