Do you get woken up by rooks etc every morning? Top tip to get them to F off

liongeorge

There is a large birch outside my bedroom window which at this time of year gets young rooks as well as jackdaws crows and magpies all making a massive racket from around 5am.
In the past the airrifle has been used extensively but this generally winds them up and gets you out of bed and there seems to be a never ending supply.
The solution I have found is to get a bow and arrow and fire a sting up over one of the top branches of the birch and hang a crow decoy upside down from it in good view.
Result total silence in the mornings:).

Probably not possible in all situations with neighbours but on a permission I stalk the owner had a lot of rooks move in to colonise a shelter belt next to his farm house .my mate and i shot a few out but it didn't make a difference and was sending the farmer insane on fine summer evenings as he was house bound .he brought us 500 heavy cartridges and this did the job destroying the nests and they haven't rebuilt this year at all .

Isn't it supposed to bring bad luck if you destroy a rookery on a farm?

Its bad luck for the rooks.

Rooks are traditionally known as the "farmers friend" because they dig up leatherjackets (I think).

They are no friend to any farmer I know. Especially one who drills cereal crops.

Also they WILL rob nests. I don't care how many people tell me they won't I have seen them do it!

Its bad luck for the rooks.

Rooks are traditionally known as the "farmers friend" because they dig up leatherjackets (I think).

They are no friend to any farmer I know. Especially one who drills cereal crops.
Also they WILL rob nests. I don't care how many people tell me they won't I have seen them do it!

Yup seen it too.

There is a large birch outside my bedroom window which at this time of year gets young rooks as well as jackdaws crows and magpies all making a massive racket from around 5am.
In the past the airrifle has been used extensively but this generally winds them up and gets you out of bed and there seems to be a never ending supply.
The solution I have found is to get a bow and arrow and fire a sting up over one of the top branches of the birch and hang a crow decoy upside down from it in good view.
Result total silence in the mornings:).

Another reason for purchasing a longbow!

Cheers

K

Isn't it supposed to bring bad luck if you destroy a rookery on a farm?

Spoke to a shepherd this lambing who was telling me that he lost countless lambs this year to crows.
Some with eyes pecked out whilst the ewe was still giving birth.

He also said crows were seen perched on the back of ewes who were in the first stages of labour, as if the crows knew a lamb was imminent.

I think their intelligence is well underestimated, and populations are certainly growing in these parts.

I have been out of bed at 4.14am every morning to hear the dawn chorus bu never heard a bloody thing for birds singing...

Back