NV Monoculars - Any Good ?

NeilG

Afternoon All.

Does anyone use a NV monocular for foxes ?? Reason for asking is that I cannot yet afford a NV / DigiScope, but was thinking I could use an NV Monocular to spot them, call them in to range, and then drop them in the light... I also do not want to be scanning for eyes with the NV on top of the rifle... no, no, no.....

My permissions for deer now include fox control... or lose the permission for deer... I am saving for a N750, but this is a year away at least.

Looking at £ 250.00 budget, and the Cobra Optics range seem ok.

Any help would be welcome as specifically targeting foxes is a new venture for me...

Thanks in advance.

Neil.

Last edited:
Neil,

Gen1 NV very much in your budget - BUT - you will need a good IR source - so laser = more expensive or an IR filter for a LF170 = more affordable but a bit more to handle.
With a good IR source Gen1 monocular that bolts on to your day scope will comfortable cope with 100yds plus. Oh, you will also need a parallax adjustable scope to get the best focus from the unit.

I have a Cobra Merlin EX with DSA - and I have been thinking about upgrading (I have a Gen3 spotter already) - so feel free to drop me a line if it's something that interests you - you've clearly done your research already.

As to spotting with NV and then getting them in the light - you'll need to be quick - the young ones will be getting wiser and if anyone has had a go already, they'll be jumpy. I'd be inclined to get yourself in a good static position and go from there rather than wander. I'm sure there'll be members in your locality who will be happy to share their foxing knowledge with you in the practical sense - for what it's worth, you're welcome over here, but I'm sure you'll get a more local offer. Everyone will have their own methods and ways - I say listen to as many people as possible and pick the things that work for you.

Cheers

E t R

I have a Clusion clubman lamp with battery and........................infra red filter and a red filter too.
I'm willing to sell because i never use it much now.
Let me know.

i had the same idea about a month ago, so i did some research and opted for a gen 1 Yukon Exelon £250, which it was quoted could see out to 500yds and identify objects out to 250yds.
i took it out under a 3/4 moon and it was next to useless, i spotted a rabbit with the lamp about 70yds away but couldnt see it at all with the monocular and could just ID sheep at 100yds,
i returned it and got a full refund.
Now i just stick with the lamp on a dimmer,
i might save up and get a gen 3 which i have looked through and you can easily see clearly out to 300yds

Neil,

Gen1 NV very much in your budget - BUT - you will need a good IR source - so laser = more expensive or an IR filter for a LF170 = more affordable but a bit more to handle.
With a good IR source Gen1 monocular that bolts on to your day scope will comfortable cope with 100yds plus. Oh, you will also need a parallax adjustable scope to get the best focus from the unit.

I have a Cobra Merlin EX with DSA - and I have been thinking about upgrading (I have a Gen3 spotter already) - so feel free to drop me a line if it's something that interests you - you've clearly done your research already.

As to spotting with NV and then getting them in the light - you'll need to be quick - the young ones will be getting wiser and if anyone has had a go already, they'll be jumpy. I'd be inclined to get yourself in a good static position and go from there rather than wander. I'm sure there'll be members in your locality who will be happy to share their foxing knowledge with you in the practical sense - for what it's worth, you're welcome over here, but I'm sure you'll get a more local offer. Everyone will have their own methods and ways - I say listen to as many people as possible and pick the things that work for you.

Cheers

E t R
Hmmm they are not jumpy round my way, there all dead:rofl:

This is my set up IMG_0433.JPG its aYukon but with IR laser attached, works a treat for me out beyond 100m no problem. I spot em (foxes don't do wabbits) with this then on with the scope mounted lamp!

there is a night vision unit up for sale in the sales secton look under opticks yes you can spot foxes then go to the lamp but you would be better with a dedicated unit or ad on dont be mislead on the digi sight they are crap yes i did say that get yourself some gen 2/3 easier to use turn on shoot turn of end of as for digital il put it this way i worked for the companey who desighned them from the get go vladimer from soviet bazare they have come a long way but they still have a long way to go before they get to gen2/3gen performance if your just looking for a spotter then get a gen1 cascade tube its about the sise of a thermose flask but with over60000gain it will be the closest you will get to gen 2/3 for under 200pounds from flee bay ;)a replacment tube will cost you 34pounds get a 35mm camera lenze for the front of it a old binocular eye piece and a battery pack and a bit of plumbers pipe to house the tube and to hold lenses under 100pound to manufacture and will weee over every gen1 and digital unit out there under 1000pounds you can look them up on the internet or night vision forum

£250 is more than you need

I use a Bresser 5x50 digital NV monocular for foxes and rabbits. its black and white but you can pick up eyes way out past 300yds, especially foxes.
focusing can be a pain with obj and ocular adjsutment but once set I ran a strip of tape around the obj to fix it.

I spot them with the NV, either walk in or just mount rifle and flick on the lamp/dimmer.
light is only ever on for a matter of seconds.

for me I want something light, small and effective.
dont care if I cant count its whiskers. you can see what they are and range them before they even know you are there

they pop up on eBay all the time for about £90. you could get a laser with the change if you really want but I dont think you need one

there is a night vision unit up for sale in the sales secton look under opticks yes you can spot foxes then go to the lamp but you would be better with a dedicated unit or ad on dont be mislead on the digi sight they are crap yes i did say that get yourself some gen 2/3 easier to use turn on shoot turn of end of as for digital il put it this way i worked for the companey who desighned them from the get go vladimer from soviet bazare they have come a long way but they still have a long way to go before they get to gen2/3gen performance if your just looking for a spotter then get a gen1 cascade tube its about the sise of a thermose flask but with over60000gain it will be the closest you will get to gen 2/3 for under 200pounds from flee bay ;)a replacment tube will cost you 34pounds get a 35mm camera lenze for the front of it a old binocular eye piece and a battery pack and a bit of plumbers pipe to house the tube and to hold lenses under 100pound to manufacture and will weee over every gen1 and digital unit out there under 1000pounds you can look them up on the internet or night vision forum
Currently looking in to spotters at the moment and I like your idea !! Have u any pictures of finished unit or links to video footage of one being made
Thanks

£250 is more than you need

I use a Bresser 5x50 digital NV monocular for foxes and rabbits. its black and white but you can pick up eyes way out past 300yds, especially foxes.
focusing can be a pain with obj and ocular adjsutment but once set I ran a strip of tape around the obj to fix it.

I spot them with the NV, either walk in or just mount rifle and flick on the lamp/dimmer.
light is only ever on for a matter of seconds.

for me I want something light, small and effective.
dont care if I cant count its whiskers. you can see what they are and range them before they even know you are there

they pop up on eBay all the time for about £90. you could get a laser with the change if you really want but I dont think you need one
Iv a lad that is waiting on me to say yes or no to a Bresser 5x50 that he is selling but I quiet like the look of the pistol grip spotter with the screen ..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200105-143654_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200105-143654_Chrome.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 8
Until I got a NV spotter I used a NM800 on low power (red pill) for a good while, it was enough to get a glint then I had a direction for the drone 10 to come into play...
Shot a huge amount with the nm800 and lamp.

Tim.243

Until I got a NV spotter I used a NM800 on low power (red pill) for a good while, it was enough to get a glint then I had a direction for the drone 10 to come into play...
Shot a huge amount with the nm800 and lamp.

Tim.243
That's how I do it at the moment !! I use a caller and scan for eye glint using a small ultra fire torch that has a red pill fitted . It's small and light and quicker than spotter .
I had this notion that a spotter might be handy but maybe the little red torch is the way to go..
I also have the NM 800 with adjustable light I have the ir pill in it at the moment but will soon be putting back in the red pill!!

You could possibly get a second hand pard 007
Use it as a spotter, then when you want to shoot pop it on the scope which takes 2 seconds to do.

You could possibly get a second hand pard 007
Use it as a spotter, then when you want to shoot pop it on the scope which takes 2 seconds to do.
Iv a pard007 and it's a pain when u take it off and pop it on and refocus it !! Some times it can be fiddly to put back on and by the time ya get it back in focus your opportunity might have passed by!!

Holy thread resurrection batman :D
I have a Pard NV019 which is pretty good but the ergonomics take some getting used to.
New they are about £250, second hand £160 - I might be selling mine soon (hardly used and will be funding thermal) if pennies allow.

Holy thread resurrection batman :D
I have a Pard NV019 which is pretty good but the ergonomics take some getting used to.
New they are about £250, second hand £160 - I might be selling mine soon (hardly used and will be funding thermal) if pennies allow.
Iv decided to go with a pistol grip type spotter with a screen from custom rifle scopes uk! I just wanted some thing small light and effective! Dont need record or any other features.
Thanks for reply and offer of pard!!

dont now if your sorted on mut i have a pard nv007 here that i dont use £255 posted or i have as new pard nv0019 + extra lenses for £165 posted

Back