Start of the Goosy season

it is the first time in 20 years i have not been out in the morning on the 1st i was out late on the foxes last night ,it was worth it we shot 6,but i am going out on the geese tonight so fingers crossed,

Over 100 ducks coming into pond and its only been fed twice! However, as there is absolutely no wind whatsoever, decided to give tonight a miss until it blows a bit.

Looking forward to our first trip to a piece of land that has around 200 Canadas on it. We generally shoot around 50 per season between 2 of us. Great sport.

What is the situation re Canada geese?

Saw some flighting last week in Devon and mention it in passing to the captain of the local game syndicate, he informed me that Canadas can now be shot at any time of the year as they are a pest and clasified the same as pigeon. Is this true?

D

What is the situation re Canada geese?

Saw some flighting last week in Devon and mention it in passing to the captain of the local game syndicate, he informed me that Canadas can now be shot at any time of the year as they are a pest and clasified the same as pigeon. Is this true?

D

"NO" In spite what a lot of people think "NO" It is against the Law to flight them from A to B or just go out an shoot them for the sheer hell of it. But what has change "IF" you find they are damaging crop's or could cause a health issue and you have tried "ALL" scarring tactic's with out success you may shoot them only on the damage site with NON TOXIC SHOT from a shot gun, people will also say shoot them with a rifle again yes you can BUT again after ALL scarring tactics have failed (1) you have Canada geese on your ticket- (2) it is not capable of holding more than 2 in a mag and 1 in the chamber may it be bolt action or semi rimmi. Sad fact there are loads out there making there own rules up. All say is DONT listen to them or me Get it in writing from B.A.S.C.

Heres the link to the general licence conditions on BASC

http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/Images/genl05_tcm6-7669.pdf

Canada Goose is on the general lcience for England but as stalkerboy says you need to have tried to scare them off first. One the land I shoot at its impossible to scre them off because its so vast adn they have damaged the crop. We do try to stick to the seasons but do extend slightly either side. Even though they are a pest Im not happy shooting them while they are nesting or egbound which I know some people would do.

THE PURPOSE(S) FOR WHICH THIS LICENCE APPLIES
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]1. Subject to paragraph 2 and the licence conditions, this licence is granted to: [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial](i) Prevent serious damage to livestock, foodstuffs for livestock, crops, vegetables, fruit, growing timber, fisheries or inland waters, and [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial](ii) Prevent the spread of disease. [/FONT]
[/FONT]WHAT THE LICENCE PERMITS
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]2. For the purposes set out in paragraph 1 above, and subject to the terms and conditions, below, this licence permits: [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial](i) Authorised persons to kill or take any of the wild birds listed at (a) and (b) below, to take, damage or destroy their nests or to take or destroy their eggs: [/FONT]
[/FONT](a) Crow [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Corvus corone [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial]
[/FONT]Dove, Collared [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Streptopelia decaocto [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial]
[/FONT]Gull, Lesser Black-backed [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Larus fuscus [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial]
[/FONT]Jackdaw [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Corvus monedula [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial]
[/FONT]Jay [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Garrulus glandarius [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial]
[/FONT]Magpie [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Pica pica [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial]
[/FONT]Pigeon, Feral [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Columba livia [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial]
[/FONT]Rook [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Corvus frugilegus [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial]
[/FONT]Woodpigeon [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Columba palumbus [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial]
[/FONT](b) Goose, Canada [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Branta canadensis [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial]
[/FONT]Parakeet, Monk [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Myiopsitta monachus [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial]
[/FONT]Parakeet, Ring-necked [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Psittacula krameri [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial](ii) Authorised persons acting under subparagraph (2)(i) above [/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]WML Gen-L05 (04/10) [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]2 [/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial](a) to use a semi-automatic weapon; [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial](b) to use a cage trap, the dimensions of which do not satisfy the requirements of section 8(1) of the Act; [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial](c) to use any net, except the use of any net for taking birds in flight or the use for taking birds on the ground of any net which is projected or propelled otherwise than by hand, and [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial](d) in relation to the killing or taking of [/FONT]
[/FONT]Feral Pigeon ([FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Columba livia[/FONT][/FONT]) [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]only: [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial]i. to use any device for illuminating a target or any sighting device for night shooting; [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial]ii. to use any form of artificial lighting or any mirror or other dazzling device; [/FONT]
[/FONT]LICENCE CONDITIONS
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]3. In respect to the species listed at paragraph 2(i)(a) above, this licence can only be relied on in circumstances where the authorised person is satisfied that appropriate legal methods of resolving the problem such as scaring and proofing are either ineffective or impracticable (see note o). [/FONT]
[/FONT]

Any of you guys know where i can do some wildfowling (Geese)in your area,i live in chatham in kent and am wiling to pay.There is two of us who travel to scotland and are looking for somewhere nearer,Cheers steve

Try Kent wildfowlers as they lots of foreshore available and have reputation of a very good body, albeit never had anything to do with them.

Thanks for that Heym,i was after the spectical as well as the shooting,KWA do not have the thousands of geese found in Norfolk or scotland,was a member some years ago,good for duck and odd goose.Still looking,Cheers steve

Back