training and course advice for new comer

Hello everyone just joined site, names rich from Hereford.

I recently went to the USA to visit family friends and there big into deer stalking there and they kindly took me along. I instantly was hooked and now I'm looking to stalk on home soil.
I have been air rifle hunting on our family farm for as long as I can remember, but stalking has never been on my agenda, but I'm getting older and poping bunnies is fun but wanting to broaden my hunting cv.

My question is what's the best approach to this new field for me?
I have my firearms certificate ready to fill out

So any advice on rifle choice for deer and fox would be great I'm thinking.243

And also courses and how and where to attend

Thanks for taking time to read any help would be greatly appreciated

Hi Richard,
A .243 is a good start and will serve you well on fox and deer..

DSC level 1 is a good course for anyone wishing to gain knowledge on stalking and deer in the UK.

as for which provider you decide on matters not to much as they all will be much the same.

good luck

Thanks very much for advice. Do they run courses near my location Herefordshire or will I need to travel. Which I don't mind. And are there places where I can go stalk as family or friends don't stalk so I don't have access to any shoots if that makes sense I don't mind paying for it.

Am I right in thinking you can stalk deer in UK without licence? If so its still good idea to do dsc1 and 2 for knowledge?

Thanks very much for advice. Do they run courses near my location Herefordshire or will I need to travel. Which I don't mind. And are there places where I can go stalk as family or friends don't stalk so I don't have access to any shoots if that makes sense I don't mind paying for it.

Am I right in thinking you can stalk deer in UK without licence? If so its still good idea to do dsc1 and 2 for knowledge?

Rich

Presuming you are aged 17 or older, you don't need a firearms certificate to go stalking in the UK, as you can utilise what's known as the "estate rifle" clause. The full details (and some other useful info) can be found here: FAQs - Countryside Alliance

You may find that your last question opens a can of worms as opinions are - shall I say - divided on this Site as to the Deer Stalking Certificates. Suffice to say that many have taken the DSC1 and found it useful, not just in gaining knowledge but also in meeting like-minded people. I am sure others may offer different opinions.

A quick search on Google found that the Midland Branch of the British Deer Society have a couple of DSC1 courses scheduled: BDS Region - Midlands. Other providers are available.

I would personally recommend you go out on a few paid stalks locally before investing in a DSC1 course, just to make sure it's really for you. If you look on the Deer Stalking Available section in the Classifieds you should find some stalking relatively local to you.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice and I think the dsc would be good as knowledge is power in my eyes and I aim to better my self whenever I can, that's just me and yes I'm 28 years young ;) as to paid stalks I take it the supply rifles or will I need to get my fav certificate and take my own gun along? I appreciate you all helping out.

Thanks for the advice and I think the dsc would be good as knowledge is power in my eyes and I aim to better my self whenever I can, that's just me and yes I'm 28 years young ;) as to paid stalks I take it the supply rifles or will I need to get my fav certificate and take my own gun along? I appreciate you all helping out.

Most professional stalkers (i.e. those who take out paying guests) will be able to offer you the use of an estate rifle. Just make sure to inform them of this when you discuss booking with them. Most will require you to take a couple of shots on a paper target first before taking you out stalking.

Thanks for the heads up I will be sure to do so and. I have found a stalk in Herefordshire on here just so will see what happens.
Thanks again guys

Back