I'm Bored

The Singing Stalker

Ok so I have made a hoist that I think will hold a fallow. Just need to get out and try it. It attaches to the back of the car and folds up compact. I think it is really neat. The arm is adjustable for Fallow, Roe or Muntie so I can get it up highter if necessary. Don't know if it needs to be adjustable but hey ho.
Myself and Marko went out but the Fallow weren't playing ball. They were playing "Lets hide from the wind in the woods" where we had to walk straight through them. Sigh. But at least I was able to demonstrate how well the night vision worked. :D And it was a nice day out.

I have made a bipod from the green garden cane stuff, done some mods to the one that I saw on youtube to ensure that it never touches or can go clang. Seems to work really well. Most of the "Professional" ones for sale seem to be 2 small for me, I find I have to stoop and more money that I want to pay.

Well I am being made redundant next year so have to keep the costs down.

I am just about to finish making a tripod because I now know that if you are going out for a stalk and are going to be standing in the one place all the time a tripod has the benefit of being able to stand on it's own. Useful to have. That should be finished in the next day or so.

I made a stock extender for my T-bolt because I have long arms and the stock was too short for me.

I made 1/2 dozen rabbit carriers with a bit of webbing and some 5mm rope. Guess what some friends are getting for Xmas.

I have 1 or 2 other projects but they will involve spending money so I'm not keen on that at the moment. They can go on the back burner.

I need to order a new spring for my X-bolt as I found that the spring I bought turned out to have the same pull. Dammit. But it at least gives me a part number and I can get some on order to test so I can get the pull down from 3.3/4 lb to 1.3/4 lbs. But the replacement springs wont be here till new year.

So now, what next? Start knitting my own camo net? I am sure that there will be something I need/want/desire/can make. :D

Of course there is also all lot of testing to be done to make sure that I can successfully aim and hold straight everything I aim at for with the bipod or tripod. But there must be something else out there. Maybe I will just have to continue working on my woodburner...........
:-|

Ideas? Suggestions? Sales :D
What have you made that didn't cost much and made a difference?

hi i made a tripod out of an old video camera one ,i just took out the threaded bit that the camera screwed onto and made a bit that went in insteadthat had a padded v on it, it has adjustable legs that go from about 18 inches to about 5.5 feet fully extended it also had a wind up height adjustment at the top i took it when i did the dsc 1 and it got some good comments

I did look at using a camera tripod, and if one comes up at a bootsale for the right money I will buy one. As you say they are fully adjustable and often come with a level so you can ensure that it flat. All you need to do is make a little Y-shape fitting to hold the rifle snugly.
I just glued the bits for the Tripod last night so as that hardens I might be able to put it together tonight. Must take some photos.

are you involved in duck or pheasant shoots of any size? skinning the game and selling the whole skins online for fly-tyers makes good money. whole mallard approx. £25, pheasant £30, english partridge £35+, etc, hares mask, teal, woodcock, etc. etc.

great money to be made here BTW!

you can also get into stick-making at low/no cost, sell online at £25 to £40 a pop

I just make things to help my shooting, because, well, because I can. I just made some extended legs for my bipods because I wanted them to be an 1" higher. They are a bit heath robinson tba. But it is always fun having a go. Made it interesting at work cos the verniers are in MM and the lathe being as old as the ark has its dimensions in imperial. :doh:

My conversion skills are not that great, so I just did it by eye. Well lets face it, we are not talking tolerances of 2.5 thou here.

Oh and when you remove the pin that holds the rubber feet on the spring goes ping back to the bottom of the bipod. Oops. So a gas welding bent in an L-shape rod does a great job of picking it up again. :D

I didn't realise there was such good money to be made out of skins. Not that I get that many but how do you sell them? Local fishing clubs or something?

Back