Transparency with SD stalking adverts

MJ75

There are some great, well wriiten and well presented adverts for stalking on this forum. There are also some badly written posts lacking information and badly presented.

Would it be worth trying to introduce some standardisation by way of a template? This would include information such as species, sex, dates available, outing fee, cull fees, venison fees, rifle hire and ammunition charges if required, accomodation etc as well as a brief description of the area.

Not only would it be useful for punters to see what is on offer, but I believe it would help those offering stalking.

Just a thought...

I don't advertise on SD, but have advertised elsewhere, personally I would never list all the information you suggest
on an open forum or in an advert for the general public to see,its none of their business, all the information you mention is available on request by prospective clients its then up to them to decide if its for them or not.

I suppose different people want different things. Though in your situation I would have thought that the general public reading your advert are the source of your business?

Seriously, I read one advert on here and thought that it was so badly written, and so unclear as to what was actually being sold, I'd not bother contacting for further information. I doubt I'm the only one that expects some level of proffesional presentation and clarity from a service provider? Maybe this person is just lazy? I really don't know, but a little more thought with some adverts and better presentation will only help everyone. All IMHO of course.

I suppose different people want different things. Though in your situation I would have thought that the general public reading your advert are the source of your business?

Seriously, I read one advert on here and thought that it was so badly written, and so unclear as to what was actually being sold, I'd not bother contacting for further information. I doubt I'm the only one that expects some level of proffesional presentation and clarity from a service provider? Maybe this person is just lazy? I really don't know, but a little more thought with some adverts and better presentation will only help everyone. All IMHO of course.
if your unsure and your interested do what I do which is a bit old fashioned "pick up the phone and speak to a real person" because believe it or not some people do struggle with writing adverts,plus not everyone wants there business know to all and sundry.

if your unsure and your interested do what I do which is a bit old fashioned "pick up the phone and speak to a real person" because believe it or not some people do struggle with writing adverts,plus not everyone wants there business know to all and sundry.

That could be true in a minority of cases. But I think there is a chance of wasting your time and the stalkers time when it could all have been advertised up front. Many people on here do, it's just a shame others can't be bothered too.

Paid stalking is all a bit cloak and dagger, from a potential customers point of view it's an absolute minefield. If you're brand spanking new to the sport and see Gordon Ramsay deer stalking and think 'I fancy a go at that' you'd be absolutely perplexed. I think a little more info would be helpful.
Especially when you consider that it might cost you thousands to shoot a medal red stag, is your potential customer going to know that a red stag will be any different to a roe buck?

In my opinion, all the cloak and dagger stuff might make people feel like they are being ripped off. My parents always told me 'if you have to ask, you can't afford it.'

Im not saying that anybody is ripping anyone off, just that it may be perceived that way.

I've bought several days stalking through SD, and it's easy enough to send a PM or make a phone call to discuss what is available in terms of dates, species and cost. Not everybody wants to publish these details, as there have been several instances of adverse posts criticising pricing structures etc in the past.

That could be true in a minority of cases. But I think there is a chance of wasting your time and the stalkers time when it could all have been advertised up front. Many people on here do, it's just a shame others can't be bothered too.
fair comment on the "time wasting factor" BUT if your a prospective client your not wasting anyones time asking for details.as to adverts on here thats not desciptive enough can you show us some examples as I have looked and they all seem easy to understand,apart form the odd foreign poster for wild boar.

I've bought several days stalking through SD, and it's easy enough to send a PM or make a phone call to discuss what is available in terms of dates, species and cost. Not everybody wants to publish these details, as there have been several instances of adverse posts criticising pricing structures etc in the past.

Exactly make phone call or email get sent information required make decision at your leisure, with no pressure
All information is in writing so client knows exactly what his costs will be , that way there should be no misunderstandings neither by client nor provider.

No need to advertise it for all to see , if interested its surely no big hardship to phone or e-mail for information pack.

fair comment on the "time wasting factor" BUT if your a prospective client your not wasting anyones time asking for details.as to adverts on here thats not desciptive enough can you show us some examples as I have looked and they all seem easy to understand,apart form the odd foreign poster for wild boar.

I disagree a bit here. The client could be wasting their time. It would be unfair on the advertiser to point out ads I perceive as very poor. They've paid to advertise after all and it's their revenue that pays for the site. But if you look through the offerings then you should see some pretty rubbish deer stalking ads.

It could well be that these badly written 'foreign pig' and non descript deer ads could be the best value stalking in the UK. But I suspect the people not making an effort will be losing business. But that is very much their perogative. Some (non deer stalking) forums require certain info posted to ensure the advertiser remains within the forums rules. This is to stop 'cloak and dagger' type situations, a template whether compulsory (unlikely to be accepted by admin I would have thought) or voluntarily would improve things for people buying stalking. How many advertisers waste their time responding with details that are then not followed up? The info could have saved them time.

I'm a little wary of those who are not open and up front from the start, and I'm pretty sure I'm not on my own. Maybe people don't need to be. But that's human nature. I also think that those who take pride in their advertising are more likely to be professional in general, I'm sure they're are exceptions to every rule. But lets be honest, first impressions count for a lot...

Your right MJ, the stalking I have purchased through the SD has been from a well written advert containing more or less the same info you suggest as a template. The way I look at it is if they cannot hold up to putting the full prices and relevant info I don't even bother enquiring any further.

Your right MJ, the stalking I have purchased through the SD has been from a well written advert containing more or less the same info you suggest as a template. The way I look at it is if they cannot hold up to putting the full prices and relevant info I don't even bother enquiring any further.

Maybe just as well I don't nor have I ever needed to advertise on SD then.

People pay to become trade members on here and how they advertise their wares is entirely up to them, providing of course there is nothing untoward in their adverts. It has to be remembered by those fair minded people who advocate a completely transparent and "up front" account of what they have on offer that in the past people who have adopted this approach have been "stung" by the unscrupulous who reside amongst us. This has led to a form of advertising that gives a taste of what is on offer without giving away too many details that less then fair minded people can take advantage of. I know that some ads are completely transparent and some are a little more murky, all it takes is the appropriate enquires to ascertain if it is for you or not.

It is I am afraid a grey area which can be resolved by personal contact, if everyone was fair minded and honest then maybe it would be a little different, but as it is we have what we have, so get used to it.

John

Back