Dragging a deer

wadashot

Here`s a tip to drag a deer. Those of you who know this will have to forgive me.

When you have gralloched your deer and before rigormortice sets in, cut a slit parallel with the leg bone and tendon where the layer of skin is above the heel on one of the back legs.
After cutting the slit which only needs to be about 3-4 inches long, depending on which type of deer it is, get the opposite back foot and feed it into the slit just to the back of the hoof and you will then have created a straight handle to pull the deer with. This is good for dragging reds as this stops the cramp in your hand.
Give it a try, i have done loads of deer this way and it works really well. :D :D

wadas

Wadas
Ive never thought of doing it that way But thinking about it its a very good practical way of dragging. Think im gonna try that one next time i have to drag 8) Thanks for sharing that with us all mate.

See i said this guy was a Dictionary of experience & knowledge in regards to stalking :D

Just a question, arent you dragging against the direction of the hair. This may be fine on heather but not good in mud.
I stick an s-hook through the lower jaw and attach a handle/sling to that which also works well.

Mark

Thanks Nick, nothing ventured, nothing gained mate. :D

Obviously you have to treat each situation as it come about mark, and yes you will drag it against the hair. I am not saying it is the perfect way to get a deer off the ground, but along heathland, grasslands, it works great, in fact there is only a few situations where this method would not work.
Consideration has to be give to stags and bucks with a decent head.

The reason i started to do it this way was not wanting to take the likes of a rope, drag bag, handle and other things out into the field with me and was also getting fed up with getting cramp in the palm of my hand by gripping around legs, antlers and the like. This to me is a totally natural handle as the only thing needed is a knife to make the slit, which you have got anyway.

Happy hunting :D

wadas

Rope halter around the head. Then over the your shoulder.

Make the halter out of a piece of rope by tieing around the back of head, then bring down side of face, twist and slip over the nose. Works for me, esp if you use a quad, car to drag.

I have a deer drag from Bushwear, a simple foam handle with strong, thin rope loop attached. Pop it over the head and off you go, I was getting sick of hand cramps as well. Simple, comfortable and takes up no space in the rucksack, I ordered it with a load of lardering stuff, think it was about a fiver.

JH.

I use a 6' long nylon loop made from 1' wide nylon ribbon from most diy super stores .

cost about £ 4
Uses are
Extraction i always pull the beast forwards as with the hair because i pulls better less mess on the hide and if you hit a snag legs go back better than forward.
Can be looped around a back leg and pull beast up a tree for gralloch.

Easy to carry rolled up it makes a 3'x 1' disc.

There is more than one way to skin a cat!!

I too carry a shot length of Para cord, make a head collar as suggested earlier and tie the other end to a short stick which makes it nice and easy to hold the handle with cold hands and means the rope does not cut into your hands.

Robert is your mothers brother!

Regards
Miles

A 6x4 nylon tarpaulin folds up very nicely in a roesack or cargo pocket and provides a nice slide when pulling deer. Just attach a few ties to the eyelets to secure it to the deer. You can get these tarpaulins from a well known highstreet store for just a £1! :)

puegot

fortunately i have lots of tracks all over my land. so i hang it in a tree to finnish bleeding out quite nicely then go and get the puegot.

I have problems with one of my ankles and the added pressure of even dragging or carrying a roe hurts and makes me lame. so i will take any suggestions

swampy

wadashot said:
Here`s a tip to drag a deer. Those of you who know this will have to forgive me.

When you have gralloched your deer and before rigormortice sets in, cut a slit parallel with the leg bone and tendon where the layer of skin is above the heel on one of the back legs.
After cutting the slit which only needs to be about 3-4 inches long, depending on which type of deer it is, get the opposite back foot and feed it into the slit just to the back of the hoof and you will then have created a straight handle to pull the deer with. This is good for dragging reds as this stops the cramp in your hand.
Give it a try, i have done loads of deer this way and it works really well. :D :D

wadas

Another tip is to let your mate shoot it, then say, "You shot it, you drag it"
basil.

basil said:
wadashot said:

wadas

Another tip is to let your mate shoot it, then say, "You shot it, you drag it"
basil.
great minds and all that basil ;)
thats what i do :evil: :evil: :lol: :lol:

Hi all,

I sometimes use an item that a stalking buddy gave me to assist in dragging deer. It sounds a bit stupid and being bright purple looks even worse but it is very effective. Its actually a carabina made of alluminium alloy with a foam handle on one side. It was originally intended to assist in carrying a number of carrier bags from the supermarket all at once and only cost about a pound. I dont remember where he bought them as it was some time ago and he bought about half a dozen but as he seems to live in Halfrauds (sorry Halfords) I guess he got them there. It probably weighs less that a quarter of boiled sweets in your pocket and in conjunction with a small piece of rope just about every situation is covered.

Remmy7

Some super tips I use a nylon rope 12 feet long looped in half tied to a 12 inch piece of broom handle across the middle
take the hind/stag by the lower jaw at the side of the tongue make a slit between the lower jaws then push the loop through (outside then inside the mouth) pull out to one side then just loop over the nose as you pull hands at your back it keeps the head up and the body comes along ok as your pulling with the hair you can reduce the length if you need to ive pulled 2 hinds and a calf at the same time using this
amberdog

I was abroad recently where I seen someone carrying a large water bottle with a bit of rope.

It was a piece of para cord in a loop that went through a 5 inch piece of alcathene. It can be varied in length and it can loop through the antlers or a cut can go through the lower jaw and attached there. This way the animal is well behind and does not get blood on your trousers. You could also make the handle longer for double handed dragging for reds or fallow etc.

J

[/quote]Another tip is to let your mate shoot it, then say, "You shot it, you drag it"
basil.[/quote]

Dont tell my shooting mate that for gods sake. He thinks im just a nice guy letting him shoot all my cull's :eek:

Ads

I use antlers when dragging stags, but when dragging hinds, calves or spikers I use the dragging handle all deer come with just cut through the front tendon on the front leg and then down behind the back tendon for a couple of inches to separate it from the bone. And there you have it a purfect t shaped dragging handle or two if you have a friend with you. Whats more by pulling from the front you are also dragging the deer the 'right' way

Back