shooting rest bags - best filling

mel

I've got a stoney point shooting rest bag coming in the next day or so and was wondering what's best to fill it with. Kid's play sand, dried split peas or dried chick peas?

I was going to go for split peas since I thought they would give me the best combination between density and weight (and they are cheaper than chick peas). Any advice?

Used a wheat mix in mine (bird seed), not as heavy as sand but works ok for informal testing.

I've got a stoney point shooting rest bag coming in the next day or so and was wondering what's best to fill it with. Kid's play sand, dried split peas or dried chick peas?

I was going to go for split peas since I thought they would give me the best combination between density and weight (and they are cheaper than chick peas). Any advice?

I always use bags when zeroing my rifles and I use sand. Yeah its heavy, but the weight helps to give a good firm base and it moulds well to the stock

Does it really matter?

If it's too light it won't hold firm and be as much use as tits on a fish, if it's too heavy it'll be a pain to lug it around the range etc. If it can be made light, and firm, that'd be ideal. Hence the reason for asking.

Mel.
i have three diffrent types of bag these are filled with
1/ sharp sand good heavy bag solid rest ,pain to lug around due to weight
2/ wheat , not heavy good rest
3/ plastic waste pellets , bit more substance than wheat and same weight ,water does not affect the filling best of the 3

i go my filling after coming across a pile of the stuff in the waste some time ago , but have seem simular on evil-bay

regards...neil

I did use Wheat in my window shooting bag but was heavy
So replaced it with tescos own label porridge oats
Cheap as chips and far lighter and still a good rest
Bag was bought off a guy on pigeon watch forums well built and only 15 quid and a good size too

Sauer/ paul

I have sharp sand in mine, but the best bag I ever used belongs to Muir he has it filled with lead shot:eek: I forget how much it weighs but it is a lot, however what a delight to use it stays out and retains shape perfectly.

John

Kiln dried sand - the stuff used in dry jointing paving blocks and available from any builders merchant, B&Q etc. 25kg for less than a fiver. No moisture or lumps so it'll fill well and be quite weighty for the mass.

Plastic pellets. Somebody I know works in a factory where they make plastic tools, buckets, tubes, etc... These pellets are the raw material to make these things.

To expand on this:

Loosely strap a self-inflating seat to your fannypack and when ready to deploy as a makeshift front rest, simply close the valve to prevent expelling air prior to seating the rifle forend atop it. When deploying this setup at the range for simulated prone Hill shots I can keyhole two shots.

Group tends to open up somewhat though when taking the standing and bench shots!

K

Back