.338 win mag

fraser

I have a rifle in the above calibre which was purchased for and used for bear hunting in North America. It seems a shame for it to lanquish in my cabinet unused and I was wondering if anyone has any personal experience of bullet weights suitable for highland red deer. Any advice would be appreciated.

Fraser

Used the Norma Oryx 235g in Europe for Red deer and Mouflon successfully. Found it a point and shoot gun.

So do you have AOLQ on your ticket? I looked at getting a .338 but apart from long range target shooting. I didn't think I would be able to justify it for anything else even though I have red access to red's so opted for a smaller caliber that I'd find more versatile.

May I point you to https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/246643/Guidance_on_Firearms_Licensing_Law.pdf

page 120

It says NO for deer and Yes for dangerous game.
Im unsure why they have done this as you are within your rights to shoot a deer under the deer acts and for fill all legal requirement as far as I can see. Not sure how much meat damage you would do though.

Thanks for that info. I have shot the rifle out to 300m using Federal 225 gn TBBC and found it a potent round at that distance. For reds I would probably drop the bullet weight.

Thanks for the reference, I'll have a look but the ground I shoot over is cleared for both 338 and 375. How attitudes have changed over the last few years.

see no reason why a 338 Win Mag could not be conditioned for deer.
Energy wise it is below the 300WM
plenty people have 375H&H for deer also

The was Tikka 338 Win Mag sitting at a dealer I rang when i was looking at acquiring a 300WM
He was desperately trying to change my mind to take it at a massive discount!
His boss had ordered it with no prospective customer and it was attracting dust!

The other problem with .338s in general is that they are prohibited on MoD gallery ranges, which include nearly all ranges on which civilian clubs shoot. This limits the number of potential purchasers when you come to sell the rifle.

The other problem with .338s in general is that they are prohibited on MoD gallery ranges, which include nearly all ranges on which civilian clubs shoot. This limits the number of potential purchasers when you come to sell the rifle.

not true , only the 338 lapua magnum is banned for use by civilians , any other 338 is fine (hme nonsense permitting)

While quite a few clubs shoot on MOD ranges there are also quite a few ranges that clubs use that are not owned by the MOD.

Do you have any documentation or links to show that? If so then I'd be really grateful for them. My local MoD range regulations just have a blanket ban on everything .338 and this also applies to Bisley where all the NRA documents just specify .338 as prohibited too. A far as I can tell it's a general prohibition on the .338" bullet diameter, even though (as we all know) cartridges like the .338 Federal are way below the HME limit.

not true , only the 338 lapua magnum is banned for use by civilians , any other 338 is fine (hme nonsense permitting)

Thats all fine but you find a load that is under HME regs that is worth practicing with!!

Bullet weight/typeVelocityEnergy
200 gr (13 g) SP2,950 ft/s (900 m/s)3,866 ft·lbf (5,242 J)
225 gr (15 g) SP2,800 ft/s (850 m/s)3,918 ft·lbf (5,312 J)
250 gr (16 g) SP2,655 ft/s (809 m/s)3,914 ft·lbf (5,307 J)
275 gr (18 g) SP2,489 ft/s (759 m/s)3,784 ft·lbf (5,130 J)

HMEm-Print.png

I have a 300 Win Mag and Yes, I can light load it with 150's or 175gr and back off the powder
....horrible thing to do.....feels like cheating on my wife!
​It should be chucking 208's at 3k!

Do you have any documentation or links to show that? If so then I'd be really grateful for them. My local MoD range regulations just have a blanket ban on everything .338 and this also applies to Bisley where all the NRA documents just specify .338 as prohibited too. A far as I can tell it's a general prohibition on the .338" bullet diameter, even though (as we all know) cartridges like the .338 Federal are way below the HME limit.

read the actual range orders at the range , it usually specifies 8.6x70mm (338 lapua magnum)

Ponteland certainly have no issue with the .50cal Black powder boys
​fired one myself there

it's a fag but I make everyone wait while I do the stupid hme check bewsher , 208 amax at 3250 out of the 300rum ! I only had the rifle built because of the stupid HME regs which effectively banned my 338 lap over night!

read the actual range orders at the range , it usually specifies 8.6x70mm (338 lapua magnum)

I checked the current Bisley range regulations:

iii .338” calibre HME rifles may not be used on any of the ranges due to Range Danger Area and Air Danger Height requirements, which exceed the available range safety
template and air danger height available.

So yes, you can use any .338 there provided it's not HME. I'm sure this is different to previous wording, and allows up to 2445fps with a 250gn bullet before you cross the HME threshold. The reloading manuals have plenty of 2400fps loads so it's all looking feasible.

I checked the current Bisley range regulations:

iii .338” calibre HME rifles may not be used on any of the ranges due to Range Danger Area and Air Danger Height requirements, which exceed the available range safety
template and air danger height available.

So yes, you can use any .338 there provided it's not HME. I'm sure this is different to previous wording, and allows up to 2445fps with a 250gn bullet before you cross the HME threshold. The reloading manuals have plenty of 2400fps loads so it's all looking feasible.

ridiculous isn't it

over 2400fps is not allowed with 250gr but pointing the rifle 10ft above the target/backstop to get it on the board at 600yds is!?!?

Back