Tikka t3X

Layton

Im looking for a new .243 for fox and deer and have around £1k to spend. Is the Tikka t3x the best value gun on the market at the moment?

Im looking for a new .243 for fox and deer and have around £1k to spend. Is the Tikka t3x the best value gun on the market at the moment?

Probably!

but I bet you can pick up a nice deal on the old T3's at the mo, and use the change on the scope.

happy shopping,

S

I bought a second hand 22-250 stainless t3. Looked perfect but barrel was shot out. Got a take off t3 243 barrel in and she now shoots.
Edi

Overall I don't think you will go wrong. I would choose the T3 preferably in stainless for our climate over any other in a similar price bracket. In my earlier post I just wanted to say beware with second hand as some are shot out even if they look fine.
edi

A lot of guns out there as good as the Tikka, Thomson TC venture, ruger American , CZ, Howa , the tikka has a large following, but is not the only gun at the party.

I think you have a better chance of getting an accurate rifle with the tikka. I have seen new remington, howa, and ruger rifles that had accuracy problems but never a tikka.

Was pondering the same question last week but in .22-250. Ended up buying a T3 adjustable on Friday. The adjustable stock seemed to feel nicer than the standard T3 stock. Not sure I like the interchangeable grip on the T3X, I'd be worried it fell off. Bought a Sako A7 in .270 last year which I really like, but didn't want to spend the extra cash for this one and knew I'd not regret buying a T3. Was half tempted by a Howa last week considering the price but it didn't really do it for me. If someone had been selling a Sako 75 close by and it was in decent condition I'd have probably went for that, although would be a little worried the barrel was shot out given the calibre and age.

The T3-T3x I personally think, are the best choice in the price bracket. Great out of the box accuracy, handling, feel etc etc also I think have probably the best retained value, subject to condition, should you ever wish to sell etc. Great rifle, Great choice.

Last edited:
Announcing that the T-3 was now "obsolete and discontinued" one of the stores in the city had them all on closeout prices: CTR 308 for $750, Stainless T-3's @ $599, and plain old T-3 Lites for under $500. I bought a 204 T-3 while the salesman was pushing the T3x on me. It takes a proprietary rail that no one seems to have in stock right now. As to the polymer bolt shroud? I have five t-3's and haven't broken one yet.~Muir

T3s are accurate rifles. If you buy a wooden stock check the grain through the grip - some are not clever and seen them break with very little force. The grain wants to run from the toe of stock (bottom edge of the butt) to the tip of the foreend. Many have the grain running parallel to the comb which very weak across the hand of the stock. My other view is that in the UK they are over priced for what they are - $600 or $700 is about right as in the US, not the £1000+ that we are charged. Howas well worth a look. If you are on a budget by a really good simple fixed scope 6x42 or 8x56 and spend what you have left on a good 2nd hand old tikka, Heym or Sako.

T3s are accurate rifles. If you buy a wooden stock check the grain through the grip - some are not clever and seen them break with very little force. The grain wants to run from the toe of stock (bottom edge of the butt) to the tip of the foreend. Many have the grain running parallel to the comb which very weak across the hand of the stock. My other view is that in the UK they are over priced for what they are - $600 or $700 is about right as in the US, not the £1000+ that we are charged. Howas well worth a look. If you are on a budget by a really good simple fixed scope 6x42 or 8x56 and spend what you have left on a good 2nd hand old tikka, Heym or Sako.

T3s don't cost over £1000. New, they go for between £750 and £850 depending on spec. At least, that's what the original went for. Don't know about the T3x.

I have to say that my experience with second hand Sakos - except for my ancient Finnbear - has been very disappointing, and they never performed as well as the T3s they replaced.

If I could go back to the start, knowing what I know now, I'd buy a T3 without hesitating. I worry that the modifications made to the T3x will make it more expensive for no gain in functionality (or, indeed, make it worse).

I was very worried that the new Tikka rifle would be a complete new and cheaper rifle.... was pleasantly surprised that Tikka engineers understood what the market wanted. The Sako product manager explained that it was very important for them to keep the T3 (x). The T3x is better than the older T3 however there are only small changes that were offered by the aftermarket industry anyway. All bits fit back and forth between T3 and the x.
edi

T3s don't cost over £1000. New, they go for between £750 and £850 depending on spec. At least, that's what the original went for. Don't know about the T3x.

I have to say that my experience with second hand Sakos - except for my ancient Finnbear - has been very disappointing, and they never performed as well as the T3s they replaced.

If I could go back to the start, knowing what I know now, I'd buy a T3 without hesitating. I worry that the modifications made to the T3x will make it more expensive for no gain in functionality (or, indeed, make it worse).

No they don't - sportsman gun centre are starting at £871 for a basic hunter and that's 17% off. Any of the others are well over £1,000. http://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/guns-and-moderators/rifles/tikka-rifles/page/2

compare that to Europtic who are selling into US market. http://www.eurooptic.com/tikka-t3-hunter-rifles.aspx

all going for $498 for a t3 hunter in 270 to $778 for a LH 308 or 300 WSM. That is well below £700.

Last edited:
No they don't - sportsman gun centre are starting at £871 for a basic hunter and that's 17% off. Any of the others are well over £1,000. http://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/guns-and-moderators/rifles/tikka-rifles/page/2

compare that to Europtic who are selling into US market. http://www.eurooptic.com/tikka-t3-hunter-rifles.aspx

all going for $498 for a t3 hunter in 270 to $778 for a LH 308 or 300 WSM. That is well below £700.

You'd be nuts to buy from SGC! Have a look on Guntrader - there are several people selling them new for sub £750. Which is about the same differential between Euro and UK prices that you get for most things.

Interestingly (or maybe not!) I am in the market for a T3 or T3x in 243 - I picked up the Tikka brochure and it doesn't show the full range, I'm after a stainless lite - the catalogue doesn't show one so my local shop was pushing the T3 Lite Stainless at £875 instead of a T3X lite (blued) for £755. On looking on guntrader it appears Tikka do do a T3X lite stainless - but I'm baffled why it isn't in their catalogue. I'm awaiting a price from my local for the T3X lite stainless to compare to the T3.

Back