Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barrel Length

Barrel Length

There must be standard practice for measuring barrel length - can someone tell me what it is.

I'm assuming the barrel includes the chamber so is it from the closed bolt face to the crown? Or is it from the start of the barrel threading (where the barrel meets the action) to the crown?

Thanks, J

It's from the face of the closed bolt to the end of the muzzle. I close the bolt, put a cleaning rod down from the muzzle end, touch the bolt face, mark the rod where it exits the muzzle, remove and measure length.
    So much to learn and so little time left

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by NigelM View Post
    It's from the face of the closed bolt to the end of the muzzle. I close the bolt, put a cleaning rod down from the muzzle end, touch the bolt face, mark the rod where it exits the muzzle, remove and measure length.
    That is the official way and only way to do it,

Bob
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Thank you both for your quick responses .

Have a great evening, J

So the Chamber is actually a Barrel ? ?
    I was always under the impression that the Barrel started from the front of the cartridge case so it would be measured as mentioned above minus the length of a cartridge case !

I was told it's taken from the point of ignition which I guess is what the others are stating.
    Regards
    Jimmy
    Next time you're walking down the street and see a homeless person go buy them a sandwich and a coffee, change of fate and it could be you one day !!!

BUY BRITISH !!!!

A barrel can be bought without restriction but once it is chambered restrictions kick in.
    So I would think a barrel and chamber are measured separately, after all, the bullet goes up the barrel -not the chamber !

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    So the Chamber is actually a Barrel ? ?
    I was always under the impression that the Barrel started from the front of the cartridge case so it would be measured as mentioned above minus the length of a cartridge case !
    I did wonder about this but further research suggest that the measurement from the closed bolt face is the standard. When one discusses the length of a shotgun barrel it has always been the total length. No subtraction of 2.5" 2.75" or even 3" depending on what cartridge is loaded.

It's an interesting question which I have asked both Steyr & Blaser. Both responded that the measurement includes the breech/chamber. ATB
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

(2) "Barrel length" means the distance from the bolt face of a closed action down the length of the axis of the bore to the crown of the muzzle, or in the case of a barrel with attachments to the end of any legal device permanently attached to the end of the muzzle.