Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Moderator cleaning/mounting technique

Moderator cleaning/mounting technique

I recently picked up a GEM-TECH TREK moderator and found in the manual the recommendation to attach it to the barrel with blue Loc-Tite. I thought this a little odd with some people experiencing rust problems when they did not remove the can after shooting. I called GEM-TECH and spoke to a technician there who told me that they recommend using a bore snake after shooting. He told me he puts a small amount of bore solvent on the snake just in front of the brush and leaves an area dry after the brush. He then puts a small amount of lubricant on the snake behind the dry area leaving another dry area behind that to soak up excess lubricant. In my climate I rarely put lubricant in a barrel unless I am putting the gun away for a period of time so I will probably give this a try but omit the lube.

As to loc-titing. He recommended putting a small amount of blue loc-tite on the barrel threads and then screwing the mod on, remove, screw back on etc for several repetitions and then removing the mod from the barrel and allow the loc-tite to dry on both pieces with them separated. This creates a sort of "sticky-friction" that helps to prevent the mod from loosening.

SS

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...86475890,d.ZGU

never tried it but it sounds a good idea if you have issues with a mod coming loose,

but I would rather determine why it was coming loose rather than locking it on etc.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Or.......you could insist that the threads are cut properly and just let physics hold it on tight!

if it needs loctite it don't fit!

Have to agree with both the above, the method being suggested does not inspire confidence in the machining.

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    Or.......you could insist that the threads are cut properly and just let physics hold it on tight!

+1

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post

Absolutely, you shouldn't need loctite in any way shape or form if the threads are cut properly.

Sounds like poor thread cut in moderator - if you can't take it back it may be worth getting it helicoiled, thus giving a nice fit to the thread on your rifle....

Why would Loctite insinuate a badly cut thread or something wrong with the thread? what a load of tosh - most moderators shoulder out on the barrel behind the thread. the use of Loctite simply reduces the likelihood of the moderator coming loose due to vibration of the impact load when the gun is fired - it shouldn't do any harm at all and I can't see why people are getting upset about it to be honest.

Having witnessed first hand a Tikka T3 trigger assembly coming loose I now use it in many places! as long as you use the correct type it should not be an issue.

Regards,

Gixer

I would agree with you regarding a custom cut thread fitting tightly but not for production threaded parts. If you buy the mod and then have it fitted by a gunsmith you can get a very tight fit but that is generally not standard with many of the guns sold here being "pre-threaded". In the US we have "classes" of fit for threads, each to meet different requirements in industry.

SS

I only have two CF mods, both PES
    They are used on:
    4 Sako factory cut 1/2"UNF threads
    3 gunsmith cut 1/2" UNF threads
    1 gunsmith cut 14x1 thread
    1 factory Sauer 14x1 thread

some spin freely all the way to the shoulder
    some require a helping hand

none come loose....even chucking 208gr through the 300 Win Mag

if a gunsmith has the mod they can oversize or undersize the thread cut to be a tighter fit if it is that slack

I personally wouldn't want Loctite inside my moderator