Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .243 Ackley Improved

.243 Ackley Improved

Hello All,

I'm looking into getting a .243 and have found a gun I like at a cheap price and wonder if its because its shot out… so i would be rebarreling it, its on my ticket just as .243 so could i get it rebarreled in ackley?

all help appreciated

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by jamesbilling View Post
    Hello All,

I'm looking into getting a .243 and have found a gun I like at a cheap price and wonder if its because its shot out… so i would be rebarreling it, its on my ticket just as .243 so could i get it rebarreled in ackley?

all help appreciated

cheers

Should be no problem

Ed

Hello All,

all help appreciated

cheers
    Rifles are cheap for lots of reasons
    have you thought about maybe shooting it first?....

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    Rifles are cheap for lots of reasons
    have you thought about maybe shooting it first?....
    Agreed.
    And understand that you won't be getting much (If anything) in performance by making it an Ackley. Just more expensive dies. ~Muir

Hello All,

all help appreciated

cheers
    morning James,I had a new barel put on my 223 and had it ackley imp,the cost of the work was the same as just standard 223 chamber so I thought why not.All my fire forming shots were hunting shots apart from 15 load development shots,so no wasting rounds.
    Better performance??? I can't notice better performance,I aim,shoot an something falls over.
    Was it worth it?? Why not,only costs a few quid more in dies and powder if your looking to stoke it up.
    As far as my licensing department were concerned,my ticket stated 223 so I didn't need a variation.If your ticket has 6mm/243 then you are ok as that is caliber not cartridge.
    good luck
    dqve

Quote Originally Posted by plonker View Post
    morning James,I had a new barel put on my 223 and had it ackley imp,the cost of the work was the same as just standard 223 chamber so I thought why not.All my fire forming shots were hunting shots apart from 15 load development shots,so no wasting rounds.
    Better performance??? I can't notice better performance,I aim,shoot an something falls over.
    Was it worth it?? Why not,only costs a few quid more in dies and powder if your looking to stoke it up.
    As far as my licensing department were concerned,my ticket stated 223 so I didn't need a variation.If your ticket has 6mm/243 then you are ok as that is caliber not cartridge.
    good luck
    dqve
    How much stoking do you do and stay within the SAAMI pressure limits of the .223?? Not sure about the .223AI but I'm certain it's not more than 8-ish percent increase in case capacity over the standard .223. This equates to a realistic maximum velocity increase of around 2% when all other factors / pressures are the same. I'm not saying that building an AI is wrong or bad, but usually the shooting attributes come from the quality of the build and not any special properties of the cartridge.

And I don't know what 'a few quid' equates to for you, but here in the US, 223 AI dies run 3 to 8 times the cost of standard .223 dies.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    How much stoking do you do and stay within the SAAMI pressure limits of the .223?? Not sure about the .223AI but I'm certain it's not more than 8-ish percent increase in case capacity over the standard .223. This equates to a realistic maximum velocity increase of around 2% when all other factors / pressures are the same. I'm not saying that building an AI is wrong or bad, but usually the shooting attributes come from the quality of the build and not any special properties of the cartridge.

And I don't know what 'a few quid' equates to for you, but here in the US, 223 AI dies run 3 to 8 times the cost of standard .223 dies.~Muir
    Im not interested in stoking it up,but larger case capacity gives the op the option of more powder if he chooses
    This route.Regarding the dies I think it might have cost £10 more (15 dollars)
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by plonker View Post
    Im not interested in stoking it up,but larger case capacity gives the op the option of more powder if he chooses
    This route.Regarding the dies I think it might have cost £10 more (15 dollars)
    Dave
    You got a deal on the dies. What kind did you get?? I was browsing Midway looking for 8mm Nambu dies (don't ask....) the other night and saw that they have a special run of Lee 223 Ackley IMP in a three die set on special: arounf $40 US. After that they prices jumped to $107 and ran through $277.

I have yet to hear of a 243 Ackley IMP that will do much more than a standard case; even by admission of owners on SD. You gain about 6.5% in case capacity for a whopping 1.6% increase in potential velocity. A friend of mine built a 243 AI and his velocity gain was almost solely due to the outrageously long barrel the gunsmith talked him into having installed. He eventually cut it back to 24" and found he'd gained nothing appreciable in velocity for the money and a year's worth of experimentation. There is no free lunch. Add more case capacity, reduce pressure and velocity, add powder to get back to that pressure and velocity. (generally speaking) I have a 30-06 IMP that does nothing a standard aught six won't do. It has been the same with my other Ackley's. I finally gave up on them tho they were fine and accurate rifles, all of them. I still have the 30-06 IMP rifle and at the 25 Krag Ackley IMP reamer I've made a few rifles with. I often miss my 220 Swift AI that shot like a bench rest rifle.~Muir

I am a real fan of Ackley Improved calibres! and have had a few including 3x .243Ai's My last one I was getting 3200fps with 105gr Amax's or 3600 with 87gr vmax (fire forming load)

I would definitely have another. Every barrel is different and sometime you will gain very little while others will reward you greatly. That's the so called fun of shooting and reloading!

As for your ticket, like mentioned before the variant of the calibre is irreleavant. if your licened for say a .243 then a .243AI is a .243....

Have one done and enjoy it for what it is...

Only one draw back that I can see; resale of an unusual calibre is harder.