Thread: Munjac Off Limits But Thin Out The Roe

Munjac Off Limits But Thin Out The Roe

A while ago I gave the stalking over to a member of this site who I shall call MARK !!!!!!! on some land I shoot over.
    The landowner wanted the roe culled but his wife didn't want the resident pair of munjac taken out as they have the fawn in the landowners garden each year.
    Mark has really been struggling to sort the roe out ( he's had none to date ) and I always see them about when I go after the foxes.
    Tonight he sent me a nice picture of a munjac walking below one of the high seats, ( at least I situated them all in the right places)
    as he said in his text to me- " he could have thrown him self out of the high seat and rung its neck"
    This is the picture he sent.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Deer.jpg 
Views:	562 
Size:	246.3 KB 
ID:	53089

Nicely told - and I "feel your pain" with a species being off limits.

i have two separate farms that both have "off-limit species". On the first, everything is fair game except the wild turkeys. It might cause me grief, especially when turkey's walk right through the spread of goose decoys, but the farm is tremendous for the wildfowl.

The other farm is anything goes except bobcats (similar to lynx). Worst is that one of the best high seats on the farm is in the home den area of a female bobcat, who is not shy. I wish I could find the cell phone pictures my son took, almost identical to your muntie pic. They were accompanied by frantic texts (my son was 16 at the time) repeatedly asking if "bobcats were REALLY off limits.". I think it took Herculean effort for him to not take that shot - but I was quite proud of him.

Hi all,
    this is MARK replying.
    Despite the lack of results I remain most grateful for the stalking given to me by the OP, it's a lovely bit of ground and for sure there are roe to be thinned out. The issue has been in finding them whilst in a safe position to shoot (the ground slopes away from the wood that seems to hold them, and there are roads in ever direction). There are a couple of high seats in place and I've added another where I would liked to have been whenever I have seen roe. However since siting it the only deer that has offered itself was a doe CWD. The only one I've ever seen, and I couldn't bring myself to shoot her. I must be getting soft. The day will surely come when I'm in the right place at the right time. I'll keep you posted. Until then I'll enjoy watching the plague of hares muntjac and CWD ;-)

Hi Mark, this is John

I forgot that besides munjac being off limits due to the farmers wife love of them so are the hares, of which there are more than a couple about.

you pair of lucky buggers!nice one ,ps dont shoot the hares, atb doug,
    DONT START

Quote Originally Posted by buckup View Post
    Hi all,
    this is MARK replying.
    Despite the lack of results I remain most grateful for the stalking given to me by the OP, it's a lovely bit of ground and for sure there are roe to be thinned out. The issue has been in finding them whilst in a safe position to shoot (the ground slopes away from the wood that seems to hold them, and there are roads in ever direction). There are a couple of high seats in place and I've added another where I would liked to have been whenever I have seen roe. However since siting it the only deer that has offered itself was a doe CWD. The only one I've ever seen, and I couldn't bring myself to shoot her. I must be getting soft. The day will surely come when I'm in the right place at the right time. I'll keep you posted. Until then I'll enjoy watching the plague of hares muntjac and CWD ;-)
    As from today 28/5/15. Mark has got the go-ahead from the farmer to cull some of the muntjac bucks as the numbers have increased rapidly must have had a release from our neighbour http://www.sttiggywinkles.org.uk/top...-adoption.html

As far as the other species are concerned he has still blanked, so lets see how long it takes him to sort out the munti's, at this rate it maybe easier if the farmer gets rid of the beef herd and just sets up a deer park.

Quote Originally Posted by tozzybum View Post
    if he needs a hand
    or two!
    DONT START