Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: shooting lease ?

shooting lease ?

I am after some advise about setting up a shooting lease which will run for up to 10 years.
    I am offering a farmer this option in lew of a debt that he finds unable to pay me, due to lack of finances from the lowering of the milk price!!!

This lease will be for all the sporting rights to around 120 acres of mixed farm land and woodland.

How do you draw up a shooting lease and how do i make sure it is honoured by the land owner etc as I have never needed a lease before for my shooting,

Bob
    "a man does good business when he rids himself of a turd"

Well worth consulting a Chartered Surveyor - potentially quite a minefield

if the milk price is such an issue he may well not be the owner in a few months what then?

You could buy the shooting rights for the farm and if it gets sold you would still have the shooting regards tom

Quote Originally Posted by tom reveley View Post
    You could buy the shooting rights for the farm and if it gets sold you would still have the shooting regards tom
    Are you saying a new owner couldn`t say no to reiver shooting there if the place was sold?
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by tom reveley View Post
    That is also a possibility but for the amount he owes me (600) I thought a 10 year water tight lease was fair.

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    Are you saying a new owner couldn`t say no to reiver shooting there if the place was sold?
    Yep, quite often the shooting rights are sold separately or perhaps kept by a previous owner when they sell.

I would think that for this to work, some sort of insurance that you do get the shooting rights for ten years would be wise, whether that actually means acquiring the rights outright or some sort of legal agreement to ensure the debt is paid should the land be sold. Rather than a quantity surveyor, I would consult a solicitor with relevant experience to protect your interests.

Quote Originally Posted by reiver View Post
    That is also a possibility but for the amount he owes me (600) I thought a 10 year water tight lease was fair.
    for 600 notes he might be thinking i would be better of letting the shooting for real money, and then pay you out ,not good

I do not want to go to court to try and get my moneys.
    This way it does not put more strain on the farmer who has no interest in the shooting rights.
    But is interested in trying to stay afloat!! small farmers are taking the drop in milk prices hard and it does not look like it will get better any time soon for a lot of them.

Bob