Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sausage struggle

Sausage struggle

Hi
    I'm trying this recent recipe as my first sausage making attempt:
    Sausage
    and I'm struggling to pull the plunger out of the grinder because of the vacuum caused by the pasty consistency of the meat. Am I missing something or is it always like that?
    Cheers
    GH

Seems strange, have you added water to the sausage mixture? What kind of meat grinder or sausage stuffer are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaothead View Post
    Hi
    I'm trying this recent recipe as my first sausage making attempt:
    Sausage
    and I'm struggling to pull the plunger out of the grinder because of the vacuum caused by the pasty consistency of the meat. Am I missing something or is it always like that?
    Cheers
    GH
    You've not got enough rusk in the mix

I'm using this grinder/sausage maker: BRAND NEW Electric MINCER SAUSAGE MAKER MACHINE FILLER / Meat Grinder 1200w!! | eBay

2nd lot kept getting loads of air in

I'll try rusk instead of milk powder next time...

Cheers

GH

The trouble with those type of econmy mincers are, there just that.
    It could be worth buying two one to mince,and one to stuff sausage.
    There are loads of online suppliers so it could just be your mix that needs tuning.
    For future ref Id stick the whole lot in the freezer the night before,nozle,blade,etc that makes a hell of a difference.

I went on a course with a man from here and he said. Get a proper sausage stuffer. I made some sausages last week using the mincer machine. It was a pain in the ass and I am now going to get a proper sausage stuffer. An awful lot easier.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

Seems like good advice but what is a 'proper' sausage stuffer?

You're wasting your time trying to use the mincer for stuffing sausages. Trust me, I know

Have a look here:

http://www.lemproducts.com/category/sausage-stuffers

And using rusk instead of milk powder will NOT solve the issue, it will ruin that recipe completely as the milk powder has a specific purpose. If you're not happy with the mincing machine as a stuffer, just make burgers instead
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

That looks more like it

There are uk ones but you need to avoid the cheap ones that bend. So I was advised. But can't remember the make.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .