Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grand Vitara 1.9ddis

Grand Vitara 1.9ddis

4x4 question, opinions on the '06 to '08 model Grand Vitara 1.9 ddis LWB?
    Im thinking of getting one for general 'car' use and stalking.
    Anyone here have experience of one? I have heard about DPF trouble but I'd be getting that removed and a remap also.

What are they like otherwise, reliability, mpg's, etc....

i wouldnt be doing any towing.

Thanks in advance...

We've owned our 59 plate for three years and it's been pretty good. Not the most sophisticated or refined. Fairly fast and handles fairly well. Fuel consumption varies GREATLY on the right foot as the engine is quite zippy with the best I've has on a run (not exceeding 60mph) of 39mpg and an average on runs of the order of 15 - 50 miles being 35-36mpg. Running around town on short journeys is AWFUL (still better than my Defender) at about 33mpg.

The DPF matter: no issues to date but we do live at the end of the world and every normal journey is 15 miles plus. I have used a couple of pots of Forte DPF Cleaner in the past three years just in case.
    I has a mate that had one and no one (a) told him about the DPF needing runs and (b) the "rubbish" main dealer did not put the correct grade of oil in it. DPF light on after a few months...Oh Sir, how silly etc. He got it cleared and sold it.
    My observation on the design is that the DPF is _right_ after the turbo charger exhaust and so, once the engine is good and hot, it oughts to aid toasting out the soot. Some of the other designs further down the exhaust chain where the gas is cooler.

She's a bit of an oil dripper: Renault engines I guess although my old Volvo had more or less the same thing minus the DPF and it did 162k miles before I junked it.

Servicing costs with my local "man" is ok and he changed the timing belt plus a service for under 500.

We run it with Toyo Open Country ATs on the 17" rims which are good in the snow and mush. OK on grass but no experience of anything worse than the local game fairs and farming stuff in the mud: runs fine.

The High Range, Central Diff Lock does help in the snow but we don't use the Low Range much other than playing gear shift. I don't like the design and electrical rubbish doing the shifting: nothing wrong with the knob on the earlier models.

We won't be having another one: space is too tight for two adults, three young brats and two dogs.

The seats are pretty gopping to me and I prefer the comfort of the Defender's...

Quote Originally Posted by Barkingsnake View Post
    We've owned our 59 plate for three years and it's been pretty good. Not the most sophisticated or refined. Fairly fast and handles fairly well. Fuel consumption varies GREATLY on the right foot as the engine is quite zippy with the best I've has on a run (not exceeding 60mph) of 39mpg and an average on runs of the order of 15 - 50 miles being 35-36mpg. Running around town on short journeys is AWFUL (still better than my Defender) at about 33mpg.

The DPF matter: no issues to date but we do live at the end of the world and every normal journey is 15 miles plus. I have used a couple of pots of Forte DPF Cleaner in the past three years just in case.
    I has a mate that had one and no one (a) told him about the DPF needing runs and (b) the "rubbish" main dealer did not put the correct grade of oil in it. DPF light on after a few months...Oh Sir, how silly etc. He got it cleared and sold it.
    My observation on the design is that the DPF is _right_ after the turbo charger exhaust and so, once the engine is good and hot, it oughts to aid toasting out the soot. Some of the other designs further down the exhaust chain where the gas is cooler.

She's a bit of an oil dripper: Renault engines I guess although my old Volvo had more or less the same thing minus the DPF and it did 162k miles before I junked it.

Servicing costs with my local "man" is ok and he changed the timing belt plus a service for under 500.

We run it with Toyo Open Country ATs on the 17" rims which are good in the snow and mush. OK on grass but no experience of anything worse than the local game fairs and farming stuff in the mud: runs fine.

The High Range, Central Diff Lock does help in the snow but we don't use the Low Range much other than playing gear shift. I don't like the design and electrical rubbish doing the shifting: nothing wrong with the knob on the earlier models.

We won't be having another one: space is too tight for two adults, three young brats and two dogs.

The seats are pretty gopping to me and I prefer the comfort of the Defender's...
    Thanks for all that info barkingsnake, with the dpf removed and a remap it should help with mpg's im thinking... overall a good wee jeep so...

Expect to have people warn you of "the earth stopping spinning on its axis" etc plus void insurance and the wrath or the gods at the prospect of removing it!!!

I'm told they go like no tomorrow with it off!

Cool! Thanks barkingsnake.

What's a DPF? Some sort of EGR type thing?
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Its a type of filter in the exhaust. If you potter around its a no go. You need to get them very hot and often or they are a right fu#@er. My dad has had vitara's since 03 and they have been good.

Suzuki vitara diesels were great till they started using Renault engines������
    Last edited by slack chamber; 22-02-2015 at 10:43. Reason: Spelling

diesel particle filter n pain in the bum

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by slack chamber View Post
    Suzuki vitara diesels were great till they started using Renault engines������
    I have a 02 Vit lwb and it's just the right size for me, sadly I have not yet found a blood tray that fits but I'm using a old taco tray thing, anyway as you say the Renault engine did have its problems pree 2000 in my model and then after 2005 they seemed to have a few egr related issues with the newer ddis variant, ( to new for me to know about).

Mine sits well at about 65 and I am getting around 39 mpg and with not very good tyres on I can still get about in 4 wheel drive with very few problems, sadly I have just encountered a problem where 1/2 investors have a small leak into the engine so when parked up for a time the car rins like a 1 legged hippo until it burns of the fuel and then it's fine,

So a pending bill close to 1000 for 2 new injectors and 4 new glow plugs still does not put me off keeping it with 120k on the clock,

Ps:'don't tell the wife as I have not told her yet,

Vitaras... I love them,
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube