Is the 308 the best rifle for all purposes

Galwyn

Hi

Just finished reading a American article on the 308. They were stating for a one gun man that this could be the best round as you can load from 50 to 180 gram loads, making it suitable for foxes through to Red.

Any comments

having had a couple now, I can say it's pretty brutal on game irrespective of most ammo used, and many will disagree with me on that of course.

I have had more runners, despite trying different ammo over time (123 through to 180g), with the .308 than I ever did with say the .243, and that actually goes from roe to red.

I also found the bruising on deer was excessive in relationship to killing power.

The .308 is ballistically inferior to many other rounds, but has a large array of available ammo, bullets, data, etc. etc so is considered a great 'all rounder'. Given the shoulder angle and case design, it is by no means the smoothest feeding cartridge either, nor the most efficient.

I would personally say the 7-08 or 7x57's take the prize for best all rounder, probably the x57 taking up to 175g'ers for pigs, etc. esp. if re-loaded to it's maximum potential.

I do have other cal's but of all the .308 It will be the last to go if i needed to down size my rifles, you can feed it any place in the world , there will be .30 cal ammo in all shops or flea markets on the side of the road (not in the UK LOL) it stops most anything that you need to drop you can use light fast bullets or big 200gr +if needed it can also use a a very fast light sabot round . Yup i like the .308 it has served me well over the years.

I use my 308 on roe and red.The furthest i have has a roe run is 10yards an red not much further. I use 150grain ssts on everything with very little mess or bruising. I find it a very good all purpose round.

Regards kev

As above really just wouldn't want to be without a few other cals one rifle in the cabinet just wouldn't look right .
norma 308

Hi

Just finished reading a American article on the 308. They were stating for a one gun man that this could be the best round as you can load from 50 to 180 gram loads, making it suitable for foxes through to Red.

Any comments

Now you have done it!! :lol:
Welcome to the forum.
As I am bored I will start the war.

Answers can be as long or short as you want. But key to this argument is do you simply want to buy ammunition off the shelf - if so when you take the wide choice of manufacturers/loads, and does a job with very little fuss/drama then possibly yes.
Before somebody shoots me I did say possibly!

If you load your own, want a short compact action that is not overbore and does not burn a relatively large amount of powder, then maybe the answer is a 7mm-08. I did only say maybe!

Reasons:-
Good bullet choice - weight 120-160 grain thus a narrower throat/ twist window, covering all UK species with aplomb.
Higher BC than .308 bullets, not as high as 6.5s granted, but you may run into chambering/twist issues when you consider a 100-150ish bullets in 6.5. The 120-140 range in the 6.5s are exceptional. But the 160 in 7mm fills a particular niche VERY well, ie slow and heavy!
Good brass, the best being Norma, and shortly Lapua.
Feeds from a magazine well.
Ballistics / terminal results very good.
VERY SMOOTH / accurate round to shoot.

But it is not yet a very common round in the UK, however it is definitely on the rise, but it's current "rarity" would count against it.

Just remember, there will always be a calibre that does a particular job better than another, you are looking for one rifle.
Also there is NO such thing as a flat shooting calibre.
And there is NOTHING wrong with a .308!

The beauty of this sport is that you can gradually acquire particular calibres for particular jobs and and learn/have fun along the way.

Now we will wait for all the other suggestions (6.5/260s, 25-06, 270, 30-06, and yes the .308) -all have their merits and all do a very good job and in most cases more popular so have better merits in other areas.

And then there is the 7x57 which when loaded to modern pressure levels is another exceptional round - umm I wonder!!

Frankly I would be happy - for a time - with any of them, you just the start to get that itch which needs to be scratched!

Enjoy,

HL
:popcorn:

Last edited:
Hi

Any comments

Hard to argue with this, especially when I have 2 on my ticket. Best regards

My guess is the author never shot a 7/08. Which is just a same as a 7x57. Showing once again the germans were about 100 years ahead of the game.

But if we must harp on about 30 calibres then 30-06 all the way. Doesn't kick as much as a 300 Winmag, not belted and can take those 220gr woodleighs which are necessary for dropping large deer on the spot if you don't have a blood tracking dog.

I think so. Also easily the best choice for a newbie, I know I started with one. Plenty of power, lots of ammo choice and availability, doesn't beat you up too much, huge options for reloaders etc etc. I never had many runners when I shot one, just a reliable killer. Any talk of BC's and trajectory, as valid as it may be, is irrelevant for 90% of deerstalking applications.

Stumbled upon this article/advice which I thought was very interesting (from an Australian perspective) & tries to direct newcomers away from .308.

Advice

I have a lot of rifles.
My 308's are my 'loaners'.
So I'd say, "No" to the op's question.
the 6.5's (x55, 260, etc) or especially the 7-08 (7x57) are a better choice.~Muir

(And American's don't know jack about guns)

Stumbled upon this article/advice which I thought was very interesting (from an Australian perspective) & tries to direct newcomers away from .308.

Advice

Take everything with a grain of salt. Australia is 75% of Europe in landmass. Would you agree what is necessary in England is okay for Sweden, Finland or Spain? I certainly wouldn't.

Advice

I know plenty of people that can shoot great groups with. 30 cals, win mag, rum and the like, his advice about bullet placement is good, his clients need some work.

It probably is:-

a) for those who only want one rifle

b) for those who don't aspire to anything else.

c) for those who want an easy option.

For the 'gun nuts' (that's anyone who applies to the FLD for more than 1 centrefire rifle) I don't think anyone should be without a .308. You can then snooze through life most of the time while trying out something less mundane.

I've been using reduced subsonic loads for rabbits and foxes. A subsonic 150gr would be the go in the 308. 500fpe plenty for anything at 100m and not much meat damage.

Hard to argue with this, especially when I have 2 on my ticket. Best regards
I would go along with you JCS, I also had a .308 for some years, used on all sorts, but the yearn to have another .243 won the day, and as you know John I still have the .270 for the Reds in you part of God's own country

My 2p worth

most recreational stalkers and maybe a few precessional stalkers will shoot fox,muntjac,roe and fallow as there main species with maybe the odd big deer red , sika etc on there once or twice a year visit to Scotland

some stalkers may have never shot a larger deer full stop

so taking all that into account most stalkers species 95% off the time could be shot with a 22 C/F within reason and where legal

so it kind of emphasises that most just want the biggest gun they can get / use rather than what they might really need

I've had and used a .308 on the above and most of my stalking falls into the stated species I then downsized to a 6.5 swede as I took no pleasure foxing at night with the 308 or the characteristics of my 308 when shooting smaller deer

or I could just have it all wrong and really I need a 300 WM

Back