Baese for a Parker Hale - mauser type action

kes

Afternoon all - I am looking for a bit of advice and some help.
I have recently purchased a Parker Hale in .308 without the scope bases which are screwed directly into the top of the rifle.
It looks as though I can perhaps get a single base which will take a picatinny rail or a double set which would then take scope mounts and rings.
I would prefer to have the original PH bases, so if anyone has any they would sell me that would be great. Alternatively advice on what might work out best for scope choices would be appreciated.
Of equal help would be the specification for them so I could perhaps purchase online.
There are two sets of holes to take the base screws - one set about 1" apart close to, above and behind the throat in the chamber area and a second set above the bolt channel which are threaded and pass right through the action. These are more like 1/2" to 3/4" apart. So avoiding fouling the bolt with long fixing screws will be imortant.
Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am itching to try it prior to refurbing it.
Many thanks for any help.
Kes

Kes forget about the awful alloy Parker Hale bases and get a set of steel bases from the likes of Leupold or Weaver. If you keep the rifle you will be likely to change to proper steel mounts after only a short while anyway as the allow mounts and rings really were the weak point with these rifles.

Kes forget about the awful alloy Parker Hale bases and get a set of steel bases from the likes of Leupold or Weaver. If you keep the rifle you will be likely to change to proper steel mounts after only a short while anyway as the allow mounts and rings really were the weak point with these rifles.

Agree entirely, just done mine with Leupolds. Brilliant job and built in windage adjustment which was my problem all along when trying to fit Weaver bases.
FWIW, Martin at the Countryman of Derby probably has some in stock?
The Leupold site gives all of the info you need.
If you do fit Leupold just watch that the bolt on travel doesn't snick the rear base when fitted, just lick a bit off with a file?

:old:

Thanks for your help both, I have contacted Countryman and we'll see if they have the bases in stock. Advce mush appreciated.
Cheers

got mine done at garlands ,they got the bases in ,only took about a week.far better than the parker hale doesnt line up with anything bases.so worth a phone call if countryman dont have them in.atb:thumb:

I have a set of original PH bases if you want £35 + p&p. Finding rings to match is the hard part though!

Very kind and much appreciated - can I ask you to hold them for me until I have a reply from Countyman?
I am conscious that steel bases will be better than alloy - unless your are steel, in which case yes please send me details of how to pay you !

Can't say I have ever had an issue with alloy bolt on dovetails other than the design (don't like the look of them and the extra component)
the alloy is not soft and is clearly lighter than steel, also gives complete flexibility to the rings and potentially changing between scopes

i have some bolt on dovetails (alloy), 1" medium rings to go with them £20 posted
i have some bolt on Leupold quick release bases - £65 posted
i personally have the Leupold bolt on twist in bases on my .270 ph

all fit for purpose

Back