Devon and Cornwall how many c/f have you got

Tomm

i have a .243 and a .308 at the moment. My .243 is my fox and roe gun with a night force scope. I have a .308 for woodland red deer stalking. I want to get a .270 for everything and then move the others on later down the line when someone local wants them, I was wondering weather they will be funny about having three deer rifles or if it's common?

thanks

Hi, currently have a variation in as we speak, I have 4 cf on my certificate. No problem at all. I was told by head of firearms licensing as long as I show good reason there is no problem with quantity or calibres or multiples of the same calibre. For your information I have 2x .22lr .22wmr .223 2x .243 .270 and a .30-30

This last variation has been a joke! Sent in 5th jan came back all wrong now supposedly sorting it but still not back.

I personally on have 1 CF at present, although I know of a few people that have 3+ with no issues. As long as you can show good reason for the calibre you should have no qualms

KS

I've found them t be very good. I have two, only one for deer mind. It is a larger than usual caliber though, all I did was apply and, with it being an unusual request, requested they call me when the time came to address the variation.
They called when ready and I spoke to Steve Carder (the guy who knows a little about guns) very helpful and we came to an agreement within 10 minutes. Got the variation the next day.

I'd suggest you do similar, possibly stating that you would be willing to have no ammunition allowance on the old two. That way, you may have 3 rifles but only one you could use.

As jonylandrover says show reason and there is no issues. I have 3 - .223, 6.5x55 and .308. Never been an issue. What I would say is talk to Middlemoor prior to putting in a variation. I never have had an issue with them.

BE

Cheers Big Ears, I missed off where Steve Carder works. It is indeed Middlemoor, the number is 01392 452880.

Very helpful but lacking in specific firearms knowledge. If your call is about that kinda thing speak to Steve. If not, whomever answers the phone will square you away no qualms.

Always found Middlemoor to be helpful. Don't always have the expert knowledge that you would like but they are not dreaming about guns & shooting all day (as most of us do).
I have the following (all cleared for deer & AOLQ) - 1 x 243, 2 x 308, 1 x 6.5, 1 x 44 Mag U/L and 1 x 375HH. Ticket is now full otherwise i'd be looking for a stutzen in 243 or 6.5.
Different rifles do different things and as long as you are clear with the FLO there should be no problem.

After a disastrous renewal when my FAC came back partially revoked and various items left off, my confidence in D&C to maintain their previous high standard of service has been dented. AFAIK a new FLD manager with little firearms experience, plus other staff changes with more to come, doesn't bode well for the future.

After a disastrous renewal when my FAC came back partially revoked and various items left off, my confidence in D&C to maintain their previous high standard of service has been dented. AFAIK a new FLD manager with little firearms experience, plus other staff changes with more to come, doesn't bode well for the future.

you must challenge this and not accept the FAC
revocation of any level is something you will have to disclose on renewal/variation

omission through incompetence is not an excuse
put your reluctance to accept the document in its current form in writing to both the head of the firearms unit AND the chief constable.

to the OP:

numbers of rifles is irrelevant, as is their classification as "deer legal", as is your police authority location. This is a National HO Guidance that the authority must adhere to or be held accountable and detail why they feel they are "special"

As with any addition or variation, justification must be clear and leave no room for interpretation or opportunity for police rejection.

look towards detailing bullet weights, trajectory, specific scopes you want for specific purposes
use the humane killing aspect of increased accuracy potential of a flatter trajectory (yes I know its ********, but no-one argues with the "i need to kill the deer faster more humanely" argument!), more energy, faster bullets, shorter barrels etc etc

I have .243, .308 and .270 (among others)
the bullet weights barely overlap 50-100gr, 100-150gr, 150-200gr

I see no issue whatsoever if you get all your ducks in a row and present a valid and wriggle free argument (buying one so you can retire the others long term is not one of those BTW)

The major change at D&C Firearms Licensing has been the appointment of a new head of firearms licensing. She is Michelle Mounsey who was previously head civilian FEO. She replaces Tom Sands. Steve Carder is senior firearms licensing manager.

I have always found Middlemoor to be approachable and if you set out exactly what you want then they will be more than helpful. There are several new plans being looked at regarding licensing which appear to be to license holders advantage.

I personally have four centre fires among others and have had no problems. I think we are fortunate down here with the licensing set up.

I have always found Middlemoor to be approachable and if you set out exactly what you want then they will be more than helpful. There are several new plans being looked at regarding licensing which appear to be to license holders advantage.

I think we are fortunate down here with the licensing set up.
I agree, obviously some people have had problems, but like you Old Keeper i have never had a problem, i have a .22, .243 and 30-06 and can't think i will ever need any other calibre.

Cheers

Richard

I have also found them very good and helpful. My latest variation took a bit longer to come back than normal and had missed a bit off re ammunition. Their mistake but they were helpful in rectifying it.

you must challenge this and not accept the FAC
revocation of any level is something you will have to disclose on renewal/variation

omission through incompetence is not an excuse

I didn't and it's now sorted.

It involved my 12 bore slugs being deleted, plus the 9.3x62 only being conditioned for overseas use, and no 9.3x62 ammo allowance at all! (wtf?). A letter detailing their shortcomings plus a couple of phone calls put it all to rights. Sadly the previous excellent service received under Mr Sands' supervision seems to have largely gone out of the window.

will give it a go this week. i have never had any problems in the past so hopefullly it will be the same now, going to be going for a 1 2 1 instead so should be easy enough

HI DRN, interesting to hear that they missed off your ammo. They did the same when my variation came back for the 375HH. I had to show it to a few mates to double check as I thought I was missing something.
A quick call to Middlemoor sorted it all out.
I've lived all over the country and experienced many errors on issuing FACs, including handguns being missed off (during the Dunblane era). Paperwork/Admin - always prone to simple errors. The measure is how quickly they address the issue and Middlemoor score highly here.

I'd suggest you do similar, possibly stating that you would be willing to have no ammunition allowance on the old two. That way, you may have 3 rifles but only one you could use

Why on earth would you do that??? If you can justify them being in your cabinet, then by definition you need the ammo. Who in their right mind would hamstring themselves with such a daft request? :cuckoo:

Well in saying to the FEO that he wants to get a new rifle and get rid of t'other two he is saying he doesn't need them.

Just an option. Not desirable but it's there if he doesn't want the other two, which he said he doesn't

Hmm. Be kind of setting a dangerous precedent for the FLD to decide to arbitrarily remove ammo allowances for anyone changing calibres though, wouldn't it? Best not even put thoughts like that in their head or else we'll all end up being forced to sit DSC 497 to ensure we can shoot any deer, at any range with the one bullet we're allowed to hold before using it and being allowed to then buy another one :doh:

Northumbria took a dim view when I asked for a .270 and refused stating that as I had a .243 and a .308 there was no justifiable reason for the .270.

Hmm. Be kind of setting a dangerous precedent for the FLD to decide to arbitrarily remove ammo allowances for anyone changing calibres though, wouldn't it? Best not even put thoughts like that in their head or else we'll all end up being forced to sit DSC 497 to ensure we can shoot any deer, at any range with the one bullet we're allowed to hold before using it and being allowed to then buy another one :doh:

Obviously deliberately melodramatic but I completely agree mate.
It's maybe not a route I'd want to take but if I had two rifles I didnt want, didn't want to sell them before buying another rifle and the FEO wouldn't give me the third as I had the other two it's a route I would consider. Atleast i could go out any but the rifle I wanted and sell the other two in my own time.

Back