Sako A11 308 Stalker

Ronin

Distinguished Member
I get asked to do a variety of interesting projects, this is one I loved doing.

It started out as a "well used" Sako A11 in 243, the barrel was shot out and the stock was frankly peppered with dings.

A chap asked me if I could make him a classic stalker on a limited budget, and I had this in a cabinet waiting for a refurb.

The rifle is pretty much standard, apart from the Lothar Walther chromoly barrel which was profiled in the Sako Hunter pattern.

308 Win, SAAMI spec min dimensions and 1-10 twist tube, threaded M14x1 with protective cap.

The action has been totally stripped, all parts that needed replacing have been, the trigger has also been stripped and given a work over (now breaks at 1.5lbs), as has the bolt (which has had new slide small parts fitted)

The stock is pillar bedded and has been stripped and re finished, while doing so I removed all but the worst scrapes and dings, theres a couple I simply couldn't do anything with, though it is to be a working rifle, and will inevitably get knocked again.

All the metalwork has been re blacked after high gloss polish.

I like the end result, the photo's simply do not do it justice.

Could I ask what a refurb like this would cost please?

Rebarrel, bedding job, blacking, proof, carriage, about 30 hrs total on the refinished stock over a number of weeks,,,all adds up, it would have looked a mite better with an ebony tip to the for end and blacked metal cap on the base of the palm swell but that wasn't in the spec.

Like it! Have always admired the understated simplicity of the AII vintage Sakos. The new owner will be served well by that lovely rifle. Bet it shoots too!

Really nice job; I like seeing a rifle put back to 98% of new. Any more to take out every ding would be too much. And it doesn't need a grip cap or forend cap. Just right.

Thats nice I have an A11 but that's a nicer shaped stock than mine,the fore-end of my stock is square not rounded like that, why would they make different shaped stocks on the same model?

I think some were slightly better (deluxe, classic, etc) the base rifle is the same quality, but the better stocks had nicer grain - commanding a higher price..

Thats nice I have an A11 but that's a nicer shaped stock than mine,the fore-end of my stock is square not rounded like that, why would they make different shaped stocks on the same model?

I actually think it is an age / fashion thing. The earlier AII's had a square fore-end profile and a different shaped cheek piece, some had white line spacers. They don't have the red recoil pad.

Later versions are in the style above. I have an AI which looks nigh on identical to the rifle above.

Nice work Redmist. A nice clean classic design that simply says style, pure and simple.
It must have been a breath of fresh air working on such a rifle rather than the tactical type rifles you normally excell in building. :rolleyes: :stir:

I actually think it is an age / fashion thing. The earlier AII's had a square fore-end profile and a different shaped cheek piece, some had white line spacers. They don't have the red recoil pad.

Later versions are in the style above. I have an AI which looks nigh on identical to the rifle above.

Thanks mine is exactly as you describe.

Nice work Redmist. A nice clean classic design that simply says style, pure and simple.
It must have been a breath of fresh air working on such a rifle rather than the tactical type rifles you normally excell in building. :rolleyes: :stir:

Cheers

I create what I am asked to.

Some projects hold more interest than others to me, I really love building "classic stalkers" be that with modern parts or old - so long as the end result is accurate (and it usually is :D )

Cheers

I create what I am asked to.

Some projects hold more interest than others to me, I really love building "classic stalkers" be that with modern parts or old - so long as the end result is accurate (and it usually is :D )

Excellent work by the way, those old Sako's are pure quality.

I have often thought I should systematically replace the contents of my safe with Sako's of that generation.

There is no comparison to a lot of current offerings.

Back