Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which sticks?

Which sticks?

Which tripod type shooting sticks would you recommend? I need some new ones. I've tried the trigger sticks but find the legs don't spread out that far.

I hate to say it but I use B&Q garden canes and an exhaust rubber. You can slide the rubber up and down so can use them from standing and sitting or kneeling very quickly. A couple of pieces of hosepipe at the top help cushion the forend for the standing shots that are most frequent. A length of paracord halfway down really helps with stability.

They certainly don't look great and aren't going to win any design awards but for under 10 they do all I need.

Attachment 53241Attachment 53242double b/q jobbies or even better limulus,s quad sticks funny to get used to but if you can take a few secs to get right they are rock solid,b/qs two skipping rope handles and an exhaust rubber sliced in half,
    DONT START

Quote Originally Posted by Boarboy View Post
    Which tripod type shooting sticks would you recommend? I need some new ones. I've tried the trigger sticks but find the legs don't spread out that far.
    I use my B&Q Quad sticks all the time, including zeroing off them. They have one cord for front to back as often stand with then opened up quite wide so the stock rests in my arm pit.
    A few times I have slipped out of my high seat grabbed the sticks then ambushed a deer off them...

My friend has a set and they have changed his field shooting no end....

Tim.243

The new trigger sticks go lower and are lighter.
    One advantage of the trigger system is how you can rest the rifle in the v and it rotates.
    Handy if lamping.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

sticks...

you didn't say your budget?
    I use http://www.derekclifford.co.uk/
    I also have two antler topped walking sticks held together at the top by a child's horse stirrup rubber which isn't dissimilar in construction to the sticks mentioned above.
    In my opinion sticks should be constructed out of the materials that are present in the hunting environment? so if/when they make a sound it is/possibly a sound of the environment? i.e. no metal clanging together or no plastic contact sounds?

I use the Primos trigger sticks & find the legs splay wide enough even to use them in the sitting position. Fantastic bits of kit, in my view
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsmoke View Post
    I use the Primos trigger sticks & find the legs splay wide enough even to use them in the sitting position. Fantastic bits of kit, in my view
    + 1 above - was dubious about sitting shots until I had a go - have got the bipod version and they're spot-on

I have a lovely set of wooden quad sticks, some flash retractable twin sticks and a set of B&Q garden canes as twins that I made myself.

The quads are great if you are sitting up on a ride and waiting for something. Perhaps it's just more practice required but for walking and stalking they are a bit too slow to deploy. And if you are on rough ground/long grass and you are tracking the beast they are a pain to manoeuvre.

Collapsable ones are good, but strangely enough, with all 3 in the back of the car, the go-to sticks are always the B&Q ones. 8 and half an hours work. Deploy instantly, steady enough especially if you have a tree to use as well. Very happy shooting out past 100 yds with them.
    So much to learn and so little time left

All you'll ever need here:
    http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...=monkey+sticks
    Much more stable than a tripod as they also support the rear of the rifle. Pretty much as accurate as prone but with the safety angle of standing.
    MS