Which sticks?

Boarboy

Which tripod type shooting sticks would you recommend? I need some new ones. I've tried the trigger sticks but find the legs don't spread out that far.

I hate to say it but I use B&Q garden canes and an exhaust rubber. You can slide the rubber up and down so can use them from standing and sitting or kneeling very quickly. A couple of pieces of hosepipe at the top help cushion the forend for the standing shots that are most frequent. A length of paracord halfway down really helps with stability.

They certainly don't look great and aren't going to win any design awards but for under £10 they do all I need.

Which tripod type shooting sticks would you recommend? I need some new ones. I've tried the trigger sticks but find the legs don't spread out that far.

I use my B&Q Quad sticks all the time, including zeroing off them. They have one cord for front to back as often stand with then opened up quite wide so the stock rests in my arm pit.
A few times I have slipped out of my high seat grabbed the sticks then ambushed a deer off them...

My friend has a set and they have changed his field shooting no end....

Tim.243

sticks...

you didn't say your budget?
I use http://www.derekclifford.co.uk/
I also have two antler topped walking sticks held together at the top by a child's horse stirrup rubber which isn't dissimilar in construction to the sticks mentioned above.
In my opinion sticks should be constructed out of the materials that are present in the hunting environment? so if/when they make a sound it is/possibly a sound of the environment? i.e. no metal clanging together or no plastic contact sounds?

I use the Primos trigger sticks & find the legs splay wide enough even to use them in the sitting position. Fantastic bits of kit, in my view :thumb:

I use the Primos trigger sticks & find the legs splay wide enough even to use them in the sitting position. Fantastic bits of kit, in my view :thumb:

+ 1 above - was dubious about sitting shots until I had a go - have got the bipod version and they're spot-on

I have a lovely set of wooden quad sticks, some flash retractable twin sticks and a set of B&Q garden canes as twins that I made myself.

The quads are great if you are sitting up on a ride and waiting for something. Perhaps it's just more practice required but for walking and stalking they are a bit too slow to deploy. And if you are on rough ground/long grass and you are tracking the beast they are a pain to manoeuvre.

Collapsable ones are good, but strangely enough, with all 3 in the back of the car, the go-to sticks are always the B&Q ones. £8 and half an hours work. Deploy instantly, steady enough especially if you have a tree to use as well. Very happy shooting out past 100 yds with them.

Well.. after doing quad sticks, bipods, tripods..... all too slow to deploy for me unless you are lucky and to be honest, if you are in a position where you have the time and the luxury to deploy quad sticks or tripods you have time to get into a more stable shooting position or get on a solid rest.... I use my sticks more as walking aids and snow probes than I do a shooting platform.. They all rattl and make too much noise too!!!

I'm going old school! getting me a nice stick from a stick maker at the CLA game fair... great for walking with, will give me a fast, stable shooting platform if I absolutely need to shoot stood up and, being one solid piece of wood topped with a nice bit of antler, will be silent too!!!!!

Its a shame it takes so much time, effort and money to come to these conclusions but as with everything else to do with my stalking, I am coming to the slow realisation that KISS is the way forward!!!

That's fine if you have the luxury of hills and close animals, but flat open arable land around here means that almost all foot stalked animals are shot off sticks for safety reasons. I reckon over 95% of my shots (other than high seats) are off sticks.
MS

Glad you've seen the light Vipa :tiphat: and hopefully this is one more sign of a slow creep towards a reversal in UK woodland stalking kit trends that will similarly see you donning a loden cape beneath a leather slung 243 stutzen and Zeiss 8X56 milk bottles.

The word deployment sums up the single most important reason to either become of bronze medal moving target (off hand) competency or practice with a single stick of at least your own height.

K

Well.. after doing quad sticks, bipods, tripods..... all too slow to deploy for me unless you are lucky and to be honest, if you are in a position where you have the time and the luxury to deploy quad sticks or tripods you have time to get into a more stable shooting position or get on a solid rest.... I use my sticks more as walking aids and snow probes than I do a shooting platform.. They all rattl and make too much noise too!!!

I'm going old school! getting me a nice stick from a stick maker at the CLA game fair... great for walking with, will give me a fast, stable shooting platform if I absolutely need to shoot stood up and, being one solid piece of wood topped with a nice bit of antler, will be silent too!!!!!

Its a shame it takes so much time, effort and money to come to these conclusions but as with everything else to do with my stalking, I am coming to the slow realisation that KISS is the way forward!!!
Tut tut tut you still haven't tried mine have you.
MS sticks are fine and cheap to make and with appropriate fittings don't rattle.
mine close together as a single stick so can't rattle but do take some effort to get used to deploying quickly and make a very good walking staff when closed. They can be used as a double or single stick too.
I think the number of quad sticks sold speaks for itself and the reports back convince me they continue to work.
there simply is no better standing shot support than quad sticks...endex.

I think the number of quad sticks sold speaks for itself

I would agree. In that the number of sales of quad sticks would indicate that the people buying them demonstrate a worrying lack of focus on their technique, and rely instead on a mechanical rest. Don't get me wrong, they have their place. But there's no substitute for practising the skills to be able to make a decent shot off the shoulder with no aids at reasonable ranges. Sticks should never be employed as a substitute for good technique

Totally agree. But where they come into their own, for me anyway, is when you're on one face of a clear fell and the bleedin deer are on the opposite face with no chance of stalking into them. Invariably this means a 200yard shot which is fine when you're an experienced shot off even twin sticks but in all honesty I feel far more comfortable at that sort of distance from quad sticks or from a bipod.
now to some real controversy......I Shoot more deer now in the neck and head because of quad sticks...there Ive said it and I know many others do the same.

I have a pair of Limulus's quad sticks and had occasion to used them as single, bipod and quad stick format and found them to be superb.

According to Woodsmoke I have demonstrated a worrying lack of focus on my technique - Hey Ho, I'm out stalking Thursday and Friday and will focus on my technique off my quad sticks.

Willie

+1 for Monkey Sticks.
I am happy taking 250 yard shots standing with no support other than the sticks.
I have a very expensive Stoney Point tripod which gathers dust in the garage.

Bryn

Back