Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fox calibre or light load on 6.5x55

Fox calibre or light load on 6.5x55

Guys just after some advice.

I've just managed to secure a bit of land that will need some fox and vermin control along with deer, now do I look for a dedicated fox rifle such as a 22-250, .223, .243 or shall I just develop a lighter load for my 6.5x55 as the Vihtavuori manual shows an 85gn bullet load? Not looked yet at what light loads you can get for the swede.

I already have a .22rf for rabbit, rat etc.

Any load from a 6.5x55 will kill fox. Personally I would look for a dual purpose load, perhaps a 120g BT or 140g Amax or similar. If you want a dedicated fox rifle then go that way

Quote Originally Posted by srvet View Post
    Any load from a 6.5x55 will kill fox. Personally I would look for a dual purpose load, perhaps a 120g BT or 140g Amax or similar. If you want a dedicated fox rifle then go that way
    I'm happy to just use the one rifle for now and if circumstances change in the future then I can look at something else.

Try and lay hands on some 100gr BT's. Pretty impressive.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Had lunch with a chap who uses 80g in his with great effect by all accounts, me i just use my normal load for the calibre I have at the time, I can see the point of having a dedicated item but I don't have the time to be prey specific these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Primer View Post
    I'm happy to just use the one rifle for now and if circumstances change in the future then I can look at something else.
    Have a look at the YouTube videos from 260rips , I am pretty sure he uses 140 Amax for fox as does THLR for roe. There are some very emphatic kills from a 260 rem which is ballistically similar to the 6.5x55. Obviously you can have a lighter load for fox but I'm not convinced the fox will care

Just use a normal Softpoint bullet that you use on deer. I shoot quite a few foxes with 100gn RWS in 243, and also 139gn 7mm soft points. Foxes don't get up after being hit by either.

I used Sierra Varmint 100 grain HP in 6.5 Swede to good effect on fox/corvids before going down the 22/17 centrefire route.

I agree with Heym SR20. Anything will do. Frangible is better for fox but it's not like a soft point won't work.

It'd be a shame not to exploit the high BC .264 bullets mind so if it were me, I'd go 140gr Amax If the rifle was mainly for fox. Otherwise it'll be a pain re-zeroing or swapping scopes and the like.

If you want her for deer aswell, use whatever you feel comfortable with for deer

120 grain nosler bt will do just fine I shoot fox muntie, roe , and fallow , I push it with N160 around 2900 fps , or try sierra 120 grain soft point both will work well regards jim