22wmr for fox!

the prowler

Hi, got a 22wmr coming. But not got it on fac yet. Any thing that I should know before putting in my fac for this close range fox calibre? Ie any legal aspects?????? Any advice would be helpful?

Hopefully it won't arrive before it's on your certificate! I think they're okay for fox at close-ish range, but if you're wanting a rifle that's main reason will be foxes, surely a .223 or .22-250 or something similar would be better.

The Home Office Guidance to the Police on Firearms Law 2013 has a list of calibres and their recommended uses, which the police will use for deciding on "good reason" when considering your application. This says that .22WMR is suitable for fox.

Hope that helps.

I have used a .22wmrf on foxes to good effect up to 100yards, probably would be good beyond that but never needed to, so don't know.
The only down side to the .22wmrf is the cost and availability of the ammo.

I have used a .22wmrf on foxes to good effect up to 100yards, probably would be good beyond that but never needed to, so don't know.

More expensive than LR but still £12 for 50 (28p) beats the hell out of £1 each for (28p).222 or 22/250s

ATB

Chasey

Thanks guys, use centre fires for foxes, 22wmr,,,, this is mainly for small farms near urban areas. The foxes are not frightened of humans and alot of shots are within 100yards. But near housing estates. All my shots are taken 100% safe. But sometimes the centre fire is overkill.

The cost of feeding a .22WMR is cheaper than with factory centrefire rounds - Maybe not much cheaper if you load your own centrefire though!
As for range, just like EMcC I have used a .22WMR for foxing to quite good effect but I found that the bullet starter to drop in tradjectory quite quickly after about 120 yards so only took shots out to around 100 yards to "minimise" the (possible) risk of "injured runners". It may well be good beyond 120 yards but I like to be on the safe side!

Thanks frenchie, yes will keep distance short. I know the land and use a rangefinder. Saw the 30grain vmax. Nice wee round and no reloading.

I have a 22wmr. Total tack driver of a round out to 110 yds. I have tried it on paper out to 200 and beyond and the results are disappointing! Once the round drops to subsonic speeds the accuracy becomes useless! I have tried every ammo out there and at 200yds off a bench in flat calm conditions best results I can find is from hornady vmax 30gr and is a 5 inch group so useless for live quarry. Keep it to 100-120yds and everything is spot on!

I nearly bought .22 WMR for fox but in the end decided a .222 would be more suitable for me as I also have crows @ 150+ yds to deal with.If I didn't have the time/inclination to try reloading economics would have made the WMR the obvious choice.

I really like my WMR - I shoot a lot of foxes on the periphery of villages etc where they're getting a bit braver (similar to your situation). Agree with the above - up to 100yds its lethal - I use the 30g vmax (nasty little round!) does just what it says on the tin. A decent mod (I've got a Hardy over-barrell) takes much of the crack out of the shot too.

You won't be disappointed - what rifle have you got coming?

HI, bought a 2nd hand 1522 anschutz with double triggers. Got it for a good price... and just had to have it. Nice wee light weight rifle. Handy for totting around on a summers night. Need to get a mod too!

Wmr was my urban fox round of choice
never needed to stretch it past 120-140 but it hits hard, is accurate and cheap to feed

vmax wasn't an option when I was using it but the 33gr remingtons worked a charm

only moved on to .222 when all the stupid foxes were shot

Back