Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A long come a Buck....

A long come a Buck....

Earlier I posted a picture of a very elusive Buck on a piece of ground tucked away on a small farm,
    In that post I mentioned I was off to sit in one of my high seats on a farm I started back in the 2014 harvest.

The last time I went the farmer started up with a hedge flail quite close by!! To night no tractor!!20 minuets in the pigeons starting drifting across the trees with there crops bulging of rape from the field close by.
    As you can see there is quite an amount of bracken which gave the Buck a superb cover, however he stepped past the cover enough to catch my eye, as I covered him with the scope the choice was not great as more cover was only a few steps away. Neck shot was my plan but it had to be know or loose him....

Very satisfying using my home built high seat and quite a nice head on him...30lb dressed.

Tim.243

Well done. A very nice looking buck and looks to be in great condition. I can imagine he would have been pretty well camouflaged in that bracken!

A nice buck indeed. I too have a lot of bracken on one of my estates and as you say, it can be a pain spotting them.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard-gun View Post
    Well done. A very nice looking buck and looks to be in great condition. I can imagine he would have been pretty well camouflaged in that bracken!
    Thank you, all the ones I have shot there have been in nice nick.

Quote Originally Posted by shotguntom View Post
    A nice buck indeed. I too have a lot of bracken on one of my estates and as you say, it can be a pain spotting them.
    Cheers, where they take a step and stop is very tricky, not a big fan of high seats as I much prefer to be mobile, however the farmer has cleared quite a bit in there.

I heard a buck calling in a block around 400 yards behind me, so it might be time to make another high seat!!

Tim.243

well done you got im ,he,s a fine looking buck

Way to go Tim, hearty congratulations, you made short work of that cracking buck!
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tjm160 View Post
    Way to go Tim, hearty congratulations, you made short work of that cracking buck!
    Thanks Tim, I did chuckle as not so long ago in the morning reply I had hope of a Muntjac lol

Tim.243

Quote Originally Posted by tozzybum View Post
    well done you got im ,he,s a fine looking buck
    Thank you,, not had a poor one yet...15 from that side of the farm!!

Tim.243

Nice one pal, I'm still after one, I went out a few times last year but the little ghosts always eluded me .all I ever saw was movement and a rear end before they disappeared into cover,

atb

kjf

Quote Originally Posted by Kjf View Post
    Nice one pal, I'm still after one, I went out a few times last year but the little ghosts always eluded me .all I ever saw was movement and a rear end before they disappeared into cover,

atb

kjf
    Thank you, Not sure how your ground is? This farm has 4 woods not best for stalking in except for a coupe of man made clearings.
    I've had more success being mobile with the sticks, I find a centre spot where I can cover 2/3/4 fields then wait....
    If I see some movement then I make a plan, whether to slip down a hedge until I can find a place to shoot from, scramble down and up a ditch....
    Sometimes I have just stood still used the buttolo caller with the bucks getting all hot and bothered lol...

Tim.243