Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about fox size

Question about fox size

I am very surprised at the number of foxes and the size of them in the UK.

Most foxes in the US, red fox or gray fox, are the size of a large tom cat, with longer legs, like 15 lbs, tops. A .22 WMR will flatten them inside of 100 yards. But yours appear to be a lot larger, so I can see why you are using .222 and .22 Hornet on them.

Coyotes run 30 to 70 lbs (rare), and bobcats 25 to 55 lbs, most of them in the middle of those ranges.

There's a hell of a lot of calories in fast food from Macdonald and KFC.

K
    Last edited by Klenchblaize; 26-02-2015 at 06:01.
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern View Post
    I am very surprised at the number of foxes and the size of them in the UK.

Most foxes in the US, red fox or gray fox, are the size of a large tom cat, with longer legs, like 15 lbs, tops. A .22 WMR will flatten them inside of 100 yards. But yours appear to be a lot larger, so I can see why you are using .222 and .22 Hornet on them.

Coyotes run 30 to 70 lbs (rare), and bobcats 25 to 55 lbs, most of them in the middle of those ranges.
    Think this is the biggest one recorded but a lot are just shot and disposed of.
    dave
    BBC News - shot on Aberdeenshire farm
    Foxes have got a lot bugger over the last 15 years especially in areas close to houses etc
    Last edited by plonker; 26-02-2015 at 07:01.

A friend of mine, in Worcestershire, shot this lot in one night, several years ago.

The one second from the left was a good size. 35lb.'ish., if I remember correctly.

Steve.

Southern,

In the US you have natural control methods to keep fox number in check - namely, Coyotes, Wolves, Lynx, Puma and Bears all of which wont tolerate foxes in their terratory, along with other predators such as Bobcats, racoons etc which will have a more even contest. You have alos godd a pretty good distribution of large eagles, which will again happily dine on foxes.

Over here in the UK in pretty much the whole of the UK, about the onyl thing that will take out a fox is a rifle or shotgun. In the Highlands of Scotland a Golden Eagle might well attack a small fox, but they are probably going to risk taking out a large one. Only the Sea Eagle will have any effect, and they are pretty much only found on the West coats of Scotland.

Foxes have quite large litters and particularly in urban areas where there is plenty of food they just keep multiplying until there is such a dense population that in then collapses from disease- but it soon recovers.

Conversly probably the best form of fox control is to focus on killing off all the small ones, but leave the big dominant ones in place. They won't tolerate little ones coming into their terratory.

This is true about the other predators. Red-tail Hawks and Great Horned Owls will carry off a fox pup.

Bobcats will easily kill the largest fox here. They kill deer which are 100 lbs or less. I have witnessed it, as have several of my friends.

On the TV news last week was home video of some coyotes coming into a suburb out West, and a cougar jumping the biggest one and carrying him off for supper.

When I was a boy, hunting fox with hounds, on foot or horse, was common. Likewise with raccoons; we let groups of friends hunt them on our farm at night, and they would take a few.

My cattle herding shepherd would run any fox down and kill it. There was not a fox made which could outrun him for more than two minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    Southern,

In the US you have natural control methods to keep fox number in check - namely, Coyotes, Wolves, Lynx, Puma and Bears all of which wont tolerate foxes in their terratory, along with other predators such as Bobcats, racoons etc which will have a more even contest. You have alos godd a pretty good distribution of large eagles, which will again happily dine on foxes.

Over here in the UK in pretty much the whole of the UK, about the only thing that will take out a fox is a rifle or shotgun. In the Highlands of Scotland a Golden Eagle might well attack a small fox, but they are probably going to risk taking out a large one. Only the Sea Eagle will have any effect, and they are pretty much only found on the West coats of Scotland.

Foxes have quite large litters and particularly in urban areas where there is plenty of food they just keep multiplying until there is such a dense population that in then collapses from disease- but it soon recovers.

Conversly probably the best form of fox control is to focus on killing off all the small ones, but leave the big dominant ones in place. They won't tolerate little ones coming into their terratory.
    Down here in the South you would have to add a third: The motor car.

K
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

Shot these two dogs one night last year.......and the smaller one at the back was what I'd call a good sized mature dog fox. Unfortunately I didn't have my phone with me at the time so I didn't take a picture with the rifle to give some scale..... the 'keeper took this the following morning.

Cheers

Fizz

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424971622.113062.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	932.3 KB 
ID:	53321shot this the other night, took the photo to post here, this is about average for my area, rifle is 14.5" barreled for comparison by our US brothers
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

Regular Poster
    Where there are more Muntjac than you can shake a stick at
    Bigger, and bolder is the rule, at least around here. Triple makes them ripple