Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Sticky

New Sticky

How about creating a new sticky at the top of this page containing a lexicon of ammuniton terms?

SS

Good luck getting people to agree..

... heads, anyone?

Horrible word. Naval toilets, as far as I'm concerned.

"Tips" are even worse.

Perhaps a picture dictionary. Something like this: http://www.handgunsafetycourse.com/n...1099_700077856

SS

I suppose it could be very useful Marcbo especially if such often confused terms as cannelures and head space are explained/defined but who would decide on the definitions?

The link that you use isn't a particullarly good example. It has a nice simple diagram (presumably not to scale) of both centrefire and rimfire cartridges but uses the term "gunpowder" rather than propellant, when most of us know that "gunpowder" is another term for black powder and that modern cartridges are not loaded with "gunpowder" but with a nitro propellant.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quiet right Mike propellant it is.

Myself I use the correct terms for the components that make up a cartridge. As life is far too short it doesn’t bother me if others don’t do the same.

I find your diagram a little insulting and feel you are measuring all of us with your own yard stick. But I do understand as you have to have weapons in the US stamped with warnings about how dangerous a weapon can be. The European weapons I see in my local gun shop don’t have such warning as we are credited with having more common sense and can work that out for ourselves.

If somebody can’t be bothered to find out or use correct terms for shooting related things , do’s that make them unsafe with a gun or a bad deer stalker.

If I buy part of a house or large building to live in it’s called a flat. In the US you call it a condominium.
    Why would you call a flat something that to me, sounds like a disease of the arse

"If I buy part of a house or large building to live in it’s called a flat. In the US you call it a condominium.
    Why would you call a flat something that to me, sounds like a disease of the arse"

I have to admit Jagare that the warnings engraved on guns that originate from the U.S. also annoy me. Stating the bleeding obvious and spoiling the looks of a good gun, it makes me evil and will actually stop me from buying guns marked in such a way.

I don't think it would make any real difference anyway if you did have a lexicon/dictionary of ammunition terms as a sticky on the site. Such terms are normally listed in most good reloading manuals anyway and if people can't be bothered to read them there they are never going to read them as a sticky.
    What's that saying, Oh yes, "you can't educate pork".
    Last edited by 8x57; 27-02-2015 at 10:15.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Don't mention Headspace....

We'll get an army of stoners looking for tips on growing stuff....

Stoners?.....then we'll mix that up with Eugene...

As for stalkers.....it will be restraining orders all round!!

SS....Just imagine the problems we will have between two countries separated by a common language.....especially when we start referring to butts and fannies!

Oh Gawd...I'm off for a lie down in a darkened room!

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    "If I buy part of a house or large building to live in it’s called a flat. In the US you call it a condominium.
    Why would you call a flat something that to me, sounds like a disease of the arse"

I have to admit Jagare that the warnings engraved on guns that originate from the U.S. also annoy me. Stating the bleeding obvious and spoiling the looks of a good gun, it makes me evil and will actually stop me from buying guns marked in such a way.

I don't think it would make any real difference anyway if you did have a lexicon/dictionary of ammunition terms as a sticky on the site. Such terms are normally listed in most good reloading manuals anyway and if people can't be bothered to read them there they are never going to read them as a sticky.
    What's that saying, Oh yes, "you can't educate pork".
    Actually in the US a "flat" is not an condominium but rather an apartment. A "condo" is just a sub-type.

Gunpowder is the generic term for all propellant used in cartridges.

Quite right about those not willing to use the correct terms, just makes them look like illiterates and their communication often hard to understand. Ever hear the expression "hog looking at a wristwatch"?

I don't think this has to be that hard unless you are against getting everyone a little education. In the German Hunting courses everyone is required to learn the terminology, surely UK hunters are capable of the same.

SS
    Last edited by MARCBO; 27-02-2015 at 13:49.

Hmmmm. Might be a few lads on here who remember a different sort of Stickies. Aint got a badge? Get a Sticky.

Quote Originally Posted by goathunter1 View Post
    Hmmmm. Might be a few lads on here who remember a different sort of Stickies. Aint got a badge? Get a Sticky.
    Are those what the "ladies" wear in the "entertainment" venues?

SS