22 lr segmented subs

the cci segmented in my annie swaro are lethal i got them for the odd close range fox but never had one close range since,!but when ive had the spare mag on with segmented in boy where they good on bunnies ,but make sure of head shots as its like being hit with a 17hmr,!

I really like them. Started using them maybe 3 years ago. Stuck with them ever since. They shoot really well through my rifle, which helps. They kill extremely well, not sure if the reduced ricochet claims are true, I haven't heard any singers that I can remember since I started using them though.

I tried these in a henry lever action. Bloody awful! They flew apart as they left the muzzle! When they didn't I had a 4 inch group at 30 yds! Std subs are fine though! My anschutz 525 also wont group with them and also have the occasional fly apart on exit of the muzzle. Had 200 of them and still got 100 left in the safe! Wouldn't buy again even if I was totally out of 22 ammo, would rather drive 100 miles to find anything else!

I found them OK in my CZ 452,reasonably accurate,very hard hitting but bolt was hard to close and quite a few definitely breaking the sound barrier.Had it not been for noise issues(they could be slower through your barrel)they would have been my ammo of choice.

Hard to close the bolt
not any more accurate than winsubs
had as many if not more exits with several zingers off into the dark
didnt see a significant increase in killing power

solution to a problem that doesn't exist imo....

If they prove accurate from your rifle -they do out of mine- they are well worth using (1) if you get frequent ricochets off hard/stony ground, and (2) if a .22LR is the only option for foxes in a given situation. IME they segment reliably and each of the 3 shards creates a lethal wound channel of its own.

If you don't get frequent ricochets, and only shoot bunnies, and need to watch the pennies, however, stick to standard SS HP.

I use them exclusively in my .22 CZ
I'd agree they are maybe not quite as accurate as my old favourite Winchester subs, but they seem not bounce about.
That for me was reason enough to use them, even at nearly double the price of normal ammo.
They are accurate enough to get the job done, not had any problems shuttling the bolt, and had none go supersonic.

Neil. :)

Very loud, very inaccurate in my 452.

Are you sure you're using the right ones? CCI do a standard-velocity version too.

I only ask because in several hundred rounds I can't recall a single "cracker".
View attachment 53338View attachment 53337
Pic. 1: 3 exit holes in a round squash. (The third one is just under the stalk.)
Pic. 2: Segments recovered from a plastic water flagon.

These rounds have greatly superior terminal ballistics to any standard HP. Whether you need that or not is another matter.

Last edited:
As per previous thread, these are now the only .22LR I use.
They cycle without fault (well 4 in 2000 rounds) in my CMMG and are the quietest bullet I have used in the Mauser 201.
They are incredibly lethal and expand even in softer targets such as Woodpidgeon on the field, with full effects.
If they make a loud noise, something is definitely wrong elsewhere....

I've let a couple of thousand of these go and I cant remember having one go supersonic. Had a few of the Winchesters crack though.

"I only ask because in several hundred rounds I can't recall a single "cracker"."

This could well be a batch issue,I did find them loud & transonic through my CZ452 but in fairness I only bought 500 of the same batch & individual barrels do achieve different velocities even in the same make/model of rifle.As the above post I have had a batch of Winnie subs do the same.

I tried them in my cz452. I didnt think they were that accurate but since had problems with my rifle so maybe my rifle!
when i used them i shot a fox at about 75 yards and it smashed its neck like a cf. When my rifle is sorted i will try again as a friend uses them in his 10/22 to great effect!

I find these much loader than the Winchester subs I usually use and I can't find any sign of any greater stopping effect either. Win subs definitely a better and more accurate round in my rifle.

I shot a fox at about 75 yards and it smashed its neck like a CF.

At the risk of setting off another ".22LR on fox!" bun-fight, that's my experience too.

I've not shot at many foxes with these (single figures), as I can usually use something with much more punch, but every fox I have shot at has either dropped on the spot or run no more than 15 yards. As a result I'm convinced that if you absolutely, positively, got to kill a fox with a .22LR, this is the load to use.

(Assuming, of course that it's sufficiently accurate in your rifle and won't make a noise to wake the dead.)

I have had several go supersonic on me
could well be a batch issue

also the foxes I have shot with 40gr solids were just as dead

the bit that I was concerned about was the multiple zingers when you get full penetration.
only happened a couple of times but hearing one piece zing off in the direction of fire is bad enough!
to hear more than one zing off in a different direction to the first is just sphincter tightening in the dark on a public golf course!!

The bit that I was concerned about was the multiple zingers when you get full penetration.

How far do you think a fragment like the one in my photo can go? It has all the aerodynamic efficiency of a leaf and no more than 1/3 of the energy of the original bullet.

When trying out the rounds I put some 2-pint milk cartons filled with water in front of a backstop comprising some corrugated tin sheets leant up against the side of an outbuilding.

With the target less than 5m from the building an occasional "clink" was heard; more than 5m away, nothing.

Using paper targets to simulate a miss the distance had to be increased to 25 yards before no strikes on the tin were heard.

That doesn't mean you won't hear a whine, but the whine itself is an indication of energy loss due to aerodynamic inefficiency.

Back