Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: small bore bullets in skulls

small bore bullets in skulls

A comment on the big stags thread got me thinking..

...I recently boiled out a fallow buck skull to find two .22LR slugs embedded in the nasal bones.

I'd be curious to know how often find things like this - .22 and HMR slugs or shotgun pellets in heads/under the skin?

Had they made it into the cavity or just stuck in the bone, were they grown over at all? have found SG in roe before and 22 airgun pellets in fox
    Last edited by rick6point5; 26-02-2015 at 21:08.

I've found an airgun pellet in the front of a fallow does shoulder, shot under the skin of more than a few deer, a red hind with a .22 rimfire slug in her snout, still bleeding so I am assuming from the night before and once in a stags sinus after boiling out, and what I think was a .22 rimfire bullet in the skull of a roe buck. A red stag with a massive welt of bone full of lead fragments on his shoulder blade, healed up, I guess that was a .223 or other small centerfire.

A friend of mine shot a fallow buck with a crossbow bolt in his nose.

I shot a roe doe, this time last year, and in her front leg, I assume was a .22lr bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by rick6point5 View Post
    Had they made it into the cavity or just stuck in the bone, were they grown over at all? have found SG in roe before and 22 airgun pellets in fox
    Just stuck in the bone - about mid way from tip of nose to eyes, right on the top (ie. Where a front on head shot would go if you were aiming for between the eyes and went an inch low).

Very old - consiberable bone growth around them, skin totally grown over.

I've often found airgun pellets in pheasants.

Quote Originally Posted by VSS View Post
    I've often found airgun pellets in pheasants.
    My wife (a vet) spends a fair amount of her week digging air gun pellets out of cats...

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    My wife (a vet) spends a fair amount of her week digging air gun pellets out of cats...
    That I can understand, it's wrong but I can see why some do it. Nothing so bad as stepping in cat turds lightly buried in the garden.
    Luckily, very few cats around here now as the "got to have a cat" fad seems to have died off

I posted this pic on here a while back.......a fox injured by someone else, later killed by me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FOX - brain injury 008.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	510.1 KB 
ID:	53328

and I also discovered the remains of this buck, dead, on a nature reserve: unfortunate chap had already recovered from a broken left pedicle when he was shot in the face by some "careless person".......ran off to die of his injuries some time later............from what I can see, the shot removed a chunk of his nose.....the bullet fragmented lodging bits of copper in front of the right eye socket and right cheek above his teeth, causing the green stained patches visible on the skull.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6941.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	141.7 KB 
ID:	53330Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6942.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	171.3 KB 
ID:	53331Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6943.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	169.7 KB 
ID:	53332

On top of the red stag incident i have already documented i have also shot several munties peppered with shotgun lead.
    It still amazes me that the amount of people i speak to that exclusively use shotguns that think it is ok (and legally and morally acceptable) to shoot muntjac with shotguns. You have to wonder how these people get shotgun certs and ask if the process in granting both shotgun and firearm certs is stringent enough!