Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: moderator question.

moderator question.

Ive moved from a larger T8 moderator on my .308 to a lighter weight A TEC cmm 4 moderator. Although I like the way the rifle is overall lighter and nicer to handle, there is a definitive increase in muzzle flip/ perceived recoil, especially shooting off sticks. The T8 seemed to just 'steady' the rifle down more. I was just wondering if there were any other moderators out there I could consider?

Hi Dan, I use the A-Tec Maxim with the standard number of baffles for my .222, .243 and .308
    When I use the 30-06 I put an extra baffle/section on it.
    I'm not sure whether the extra module makes any real difference other than to me in my mind.
    Weight and balance seems to be quite satisfactory to me.

The ASE Utra Northstar is a superb mod'. Fully-welded stainless, reflex with no rear bush. I use one for both my 22-250 and .270 & find it superb. Only downside is it's uncoated (but matt) stainless and it's a lump at just over 600g. I think I paid 235 for mine
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsmoke View Post
    The ASE Utra Northstar is a superb mod'. Fully-welded stainless, reflex with no rear bush. I use one for both my 22-250 and .270 & find it superb. Only downside is it's uncoated (but matt) stainless and it's a lump at just over 600g. I think I paid 235 for mine
    +1... Have one of these on my Mannlicher and really like it... bit on the heavy side but it's reassuringly solid and seems to balance the rifle well.

Quote Originally Posted by Boarboy View Post
    Ive moved from a larger T8 moderator on my .308 to a lighter weight A TEC cmm 4 moderator. Although I like the way the rifle is overall lighter and nicer to handle, there is a definitive increase in muzzle flip/ perceived recoil, especially shooting off sticks. The T8 seemed to just 'steady' the rifle down more. I was just wondering if there were any other moderators out there I could consider?
    Try an AU-SL5 or Jet-z, I've got both. Regards JCS

i went down the light alloy route and ended up going back to a t8 for this very reason

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    Hi Dan, I use the A-Tec Maxim with the standard number of baffles for my .222, .243 and .308
    When I use the 30-06 I put an extra baffle/section on it.
    I'm not sure whether the extra module makes any real difference other than to me in my mind.
    Weight and balance seems to be quite satisfactory to me.
    Do you use different size baffles for different calibers? Seems to me that if you do not, the effectiveness would be significantly degraded.

SS

Quote Originally Posted by Boarboy View Post
    if you change a heavy steel T8 for a much lighter CMM4 then the reduction of weight will increase felt recoil and flip. That's the physics, trade one for the other, personally I would rather have the lighter mod for the reasons of carrying and balance of the rifle and put up with the slight increase in recoil and flip.
    I have both heavy ss and light ally mods, just prefer not to have too much weight on the end.

Quote Originally Posted by MARCBO View Post
    Do you use different size baffles for different calibers? Seems to me that if you do not, the effectiveness would be significantly degraded.SS
    The difference is so insignificant as to be not discernable to the Mk1 ear/

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    The difference is so insignificant as to be not discernable to the Mk1 ear/
    Really? I cannot imagine this to be true otherwise Then why do a lot of manufacturers try to keep their tolerances as close to bore diameter as possible?

SS