moderator question.

Boarboy

Ive moved from a larger T8 moderator on my .308 to a lighter weight A TEC cmm 4 moderator. Although I like the way the rifle is overall lighter and nicer to handle, there is a definitive increase in muzzle flip/ perceived recoil, especially shooting off sticks. The T8 seemed to just 'steady' the rifle down more. I was just wondering if there were any other moderators out there I could consider?

Hi Dan, I use the A-Tec Maxim with the standard number of baffles for my .222, .243 and .308
When I use the 30-06 I put an extra baffle/section on it.
I'm not sure whether the extra module makes any real difference other than to me in my mind.
Weight and balance seems to be quite satisfactory to me.

The ASE Utra Northstar is a superb mod'. Fully-welded stainless, reflex with no rear bush. I use one for both my 22-250 and .270 & find it superb. Only downside is it's uncoated (but matt) stainless and it's a lump at just over 600g. I think I paid £235 for mine

The ASE Utra Northstar is a superb mod'. Fully-welded stainless, reflex with no rear bush. I use one for both my 22-250 and .270 & find it superb. Only downside is it's uncoated (but matt) stainless and it's a lump at just over 600g. I think I paid £235 for mine

+1... Have one of these on my Mannlicher and really like it... bit on the heavy side but it's reassuringly solid and seems to balance the rifle well.

Ive moved from a larger T8 moderator on my .308 to a lighter weight A TEC cmm 4 moderator. Although I like the way the rifle is overall lighter and nicer to handle, there is a definitive increase in muzzle flip/ perceived recoil, especially shooting off sticks. The T8 seemed to just 'steady' the rifle down more. I was just wondering if there were any other moderators out there I could consider?

Try an AU-SL5 or Jet-z, I've got both. Regards JCS

i went down the light alloy route and ended up going back to a t8 :doh:for this very reason

Hi Dan, I use the A-Tec Maxim with the standard number of baffles for my .222, .243 and .308
When I use the 30-06 I put an extra baffle/section on it.
I'm not sure whether the extra module makes any real difference other than to me in my mind.
Weight and balance seems to be quite satisfactory to me.

Do you use different size baffles for different calibers? Seems to me that if you do not, the effectiveness would be significantly degraded.

SS

if you change a heavy steel T8 for a much lighter CMM4 then the reduction of weight will increase felt recoil and flip. That's the physics, trade one for the other, personally I would rather have the lighter mod for the reasons of carrying and balance of the rifle and put up with the slight increase in recoil and flip.
I have both heavy ss and light ally mods, just prefer not to have too much weight on the end.

The difference is so insignificant as to be not discernable to the Mk1 ear/

Really? I cannot imagine this to be true otherwise Then why do a lot of manufacturers try to keep their tolerances as close to bore diameter as possible?

SS

I'm a fan also, and mine are matt stainless. I think they make a black one now: but I always put a thin neoprene sleeve over mine anyway, to cut the heat-haze.

bought a atec maxim for my 270 .worst decision i have made was a lot loader and the flip on it was unreal. when back to the trusty t8 and put the maxim on my 223 which was alright.
my mate bought a maxim for his 22.250 and he hated it had the same problem i had with my 270.
have had people say the jetz and the northstar are good as well.

Last edited:
Really? I cannot imagine this to be true otherwise Then why do a lot of manufacturers try to keep their tolerances as close to bore diameter as possible?

SS
Doesn't seem to make a huge difference behind the muzzle, perhaps more in front?

I really like the look of the Northstar. Just how much of a lump is it?! I think it might be betwwen this and the jet z.

I really like the look of the Northstar. Just how much of a lump is it?! I think it might be betwwen this and the jet z.

It's a hefty lump. Compare here Northstar NS-3B-sound suppressors | Ase Utra
I bought it for preference over the jet-z because it adds less length, and as a hobbit-like creature with a 23" barrel stalking-rifle habitually carried muzzle-down, these things matter.
Having said which, I got one for my 20" barrel .223 also, because shorter is easier to handle in a vehicle.

There's also the notion that as more of it is further back than the Jet-z, it might feel less of an encumbrance (or perhaps just no more on one) - but I really don't know if the difference is significant.

I really like the look of the Northstar. Just how much of a lump is it?

Truth be told I heft it for miles on both my rifles & just deal with it. You notice the handling improves hugely without it, but to be honest I've never found it to be too much of an encumbrance. I've been toying with the idea of leaving it at home & going old school, but the .270 muzzle flip is just too wild without it as I prefer to watch the strike. It's actually only a few grams heavier than my friends Predator though, but actually feels less on the rifle due to the shorter length.

The payoff to the weight is 100% stainless (decent stainless too) and very good sound and recoil suppression. I shot (and missed :oops:) a hind a few weeks ago & my friend who was barely half a mile away heard nothing, albeit it was in forestry

Last edited:
I have a ASE UTRA SL5 on my 270 and one day while zeroing i tried my T8 off my 243 (also a .30 cal mod) and found it reduced the felt recoil and flip also. As you say especially off sticks

Back