lake district weekend ,suggestions and ideas pleese gents

tozzybum

she whom is obeyed:-| wants payback for stalking weekends:doh: and fancys t,lake district.any suggestions or ideas nice place to stay ,eat out and visit.also places to avoid ripp off sort of tourist traps etc.all advice received with thanks.never been ,know to take a brolly,waterproofs and money all else is friend of a friend hearsay,cheers in advance gents:thumb:

There's a cracking B and B in Ambleside called Brandtfell house. Syperb breakfast and great hosts.

On on the doorstep of many great walks, pubs, restaurants. And a stones throw from Grasmere and Thirlmere/Helvellyn area.

Dave

Lyzzick Hall is a nice to place to stay and has an amazing restaurant, or further up Bassenthwaite is Armathwaite Hall, both within 3-4 minutes of Keswick.

To avoid the tourist traps, come to the Western Lakes. A bit further to go, but well worth it. Stop in one of a couple of nice hotels in Ennerdale Bridge and visit two of the best lakes - Ennerdale and Wastwater (deepest lake and highest point in England).

If you don't want to go quite so far, Keswick is an excellent Lakeland small market town and a good base for touring, walking or whatever takes your fancy. Take the time to call in to John Norris' shop at Penrith, another fine small market town. Excellent shops there too but not too many of them, so a compromise for both you and the better half. Call in at Pooley Bridge, not too far from Penrith, a nice Lakeland village on the shores of Ullswater where you can take a steamer ride on the lake, either one way and a walk back or the round trip.

Ambleside, Bowness-on-Windermere and places nearby are absolutely lovely, but they are much more accessible to those living in the big cities of the north and so there's always loads of people and traffic on those country roads with people taking breaks such as you are planning. Especially at the weekends.

Enjoy.

Keep driving.... Scotland?

Stop driving everyone crackers as per normal.
He plainly said Lake District.
Tozzy.
Accommodation may be available at the Pooley Bridge hotel or the Sharrow Bay hotel on the Howtown road.
If you went to either you could go up the left side of Lake Ullswater via Howtown into Martindale.
The wiggly road from Howtown to Martindale itself is quite spectacular with wonderful views of the lake.
This is the home of hundreds of Red Deer which can be viewed from your vehicle or seen by a short walk.

HWH.

Lake District is Beautiful, lots of good b and b`s and hotels.
Wives do like to go to the tourist spots ...Windermere Ambleside,
Hawkshead, Beatrix Potter, Wordsworth etc,
Forest visitors centres at Grisedale and Keswick,
got to go on a Steamer on the Lakes,
Lots of Forest Walks, but really the Fells
are there to view or climb according to your fitness and footwear (Try Helvellyn).
You can get good weather sometimes but of course it can also rain.
Avoid Bank Hols. Hairy drives on the passes

Hi Tozzy,
PM sent.

The lakes are indeed a fantastic place to stay, with plenty of things to see and do all around. Having being going there for over 28 years it just gets better every time.
lots of happy memories.

Cheers

A.M.

thank you everybody a great deal of info to digest and so many nice places to stay il sit down and go through and suggest what hope she,l enjoy .browny points for me and some of them even let the dog stay.once again thank you everyone ,even red dot .i know scotlands awaiting as my family are up in lochgelly in fife but thats a fortnight job atb :tiphat:

I would recommend Cragwood or Merewood from here,

Lake District Hotels | Country House Hotels | Lake Windermere

both are within a short walk of the Brockhole jetty and thus the ferry for access to various bits of the lake and some quality dog walking in Claife heights (west side of Lake Windermere).

Good Central location to do the tourist/kit shopping/dog walking or more adventurous goings on. Got to echo Pedros comments about the western lakes or Furness peninsula for less tourists and more space. Even if you don't want to go far from the car a drive up langdale and over Wrynose pass, down the Duddon for lunch at Seathwaite or just a quick leg stretch and then on to lunch (with a quality pint!) at the prince of Wales at Foxfield. Then a quick trip back up via Coniston or Newby bridge.

If you chose either of the hotels above, let me know and I can sort you out with map of the local area for dog walks etc.

Back