Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why should I not get a 204 ruger

Why should I not get a 204 ruger

Hi,
    i want a long range bunny and fox rifle, capable of killing at 250-350yrds. I already have a .223 set up with a NV scope but want something for daytime/evening use. I have looked at changing the NV scope to a detachable scope but not only the price but also the change in shooting position makes me not keen. This has lead me to think of getting a new rifle. I already home load for the .223 so plan to continue to home load for what ever calibre. I am not keen on the 17 hmr as I do not think them as a suitable fox rifle over 100yds, neither am I keen on a 22 hornet. Another 223 is an option but it seems a shame to have two rifles in the same calibre. I have been intrigued at the claims of the 204 (accuracy at range, flat shooting, ability to hold up against the wind) and wonder if anyone has experience of this calibre and can give an honest appraisal, good and bad, or suggest any other calibres that might fit the bill.
    thanks in advance.
    BE

You won't be disappointed with the 204 great little round you need head shots on rabbits or they are not worth picking up, very accurate round using 10x with 32 and 39 grn sierra bullets, foxes don't know what's hit them at 300 yds just fall over

you should say why not !!! its a cracking little
    cart

I use the 204 for night vision foxing( Just point and shoot out to 200 yards) and use the .223 for longer range day time. Either one will knock Foxy down.
    What is the twist rate on the 223? as you could get out to some decent ranges with it for the day time.

Quote Originally Posted by easypeasy View Post
    I use the 204 for night vision foxing( Just point and shoot out to 200 yards) and use the .223 for longer range day time. Either one will knock Foxy down.
    What is the twist rate on the 223? as you could get out to some decent ranges with it for the day time.
    It's a CZ 527 with a 1:9 twist. It's very accurate with 52gr amax

With a 1:9 you could be getting some slightly heavier rounds for greater distances. Use the 223 for day time and get yourself a 204 for the night time fox bashing.

Quote Originally Posted by easypeasy View Post
    With a 1:9 you could be getting some slightly heavier rounds for greater distances. Use the 223 for day time and get yourself a 204 for the night time fox bashing.
    Was wondering that but the .223 loves the 52 gr, my present load has an MV 3360 fps and at 400yds has 419 lb ft energy whilst a 204 39gr going at 4000 fps MV will have nearly 500 lb ft at 400yds which on paper would make it the better daytime, fun round for long range corvids, bunnies etc. as I would never shoot that far at night should I not keep the 223 set up as the night scope?

BE

Quote Originally Posted by big ears View Post
    Was wondering that but the .223 loves the 52 gr, my present load has an MV 3360 fps and at 400yds has 419 lb ft energy whilst a 204 39gr going at 4000 fps MV will have nearly 500 lb ft at 400yds which on paper would make it the better daytime, fun round for long range corvids, bunnies etc. as I would never shoot that far at night should I not keep the 223 set up as the night scope?

BE
    You will be lucky if you get 4000 fps from a factory rifle as most have short barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by stephentri View Post
    You will be lucky if you get 4000 fps from a factory rifle as most have short barrel.
    What realistically could I expect?

Are you planning to sell your .223? Get a .204 and you soon will be!

Seriously, if you want a day gun and a night gun, the best thing to do is to buy the same model in the same calibre that you use now, and shoot the same load.

Night ranges are short enough that ballistic differences between the .223 and .204 are practically insignificant, and for daytime use (when ranging and reading the wind is easier and your optics are more precise) you should be able to reach out as far as you need with the .223.

A .223 in the daytime will be legal for Muntjac and CWD too, of course.

I write this as a fan of the .204 (and .17RFB) - but that's about enjoying variety, not about making practical choices.
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay