Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pros and cons of a lead ban for stalking

Pros and cons of a lead ban for stalking

I was just reading shooting times in sainsburys (too tight to buy it and I dont like it anyway) and they had an article about the deer management conference which dicussed a ban on the use of lead bullets for stalking following concerns over their effect on human health and pollution. *

I know nothing about the pro's and con's of this. I suppose less lead about is a good thing. How would a ban effect ballistics, anyone have any views on this matter?*

Cheers John

Purdey, pop "Lead ban " in the search facility. A few posts under this.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

There are non toxic bullets and there are Barnes bullets...

http://www.barnesbullets.com/

...from a signed-up member of Club X -

I'll say no more...
    /l\ Y gwir yn erbyn y byd /l\

Anyone know of specific cases where venison has be confirmed as the source of lead poisoning?

Quote Originally Posted by purdeydog View Post
    I was just reading shooting times in sainsburys (too tight to buy it and I dont like it anyway) and they had an article about the deer management conference which dicussed a ban on the use of lead bullets for stalking following concerns over their effect on human health and pollution. *

I know nothing about the pro's and con's of this. I suppose less lead about is a good thing. How would a ban effect ballistics, anyone have any views on this matter?*

Cheers John
    We have been trying the Hornaby GMX with good groupings of 1/2" and not as much copper fowling as Barnes X, the vote is still out on the bullet expanding of the GMX on Roe, has anyone tried the GMX on roe if so what are your thoughts.

I think a lead ban will have a lot less impact (no pun intended) on stalkers compared to shotgunners.

We already have good mono-copper bullets available, if the use of these goes up significantly, and there is a bit of competition from other makers, the price will come down quite a bit.

If there is a general ban on lead shot, guys who shoot volume shotgun shells are going to suffer.

Why do I find it suspicious that this agenda is being pushed by people who are opposed to our way of life? Death by a thousand cuts is the agenda....
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

I personnaly have no issue with a lead ban. As long as there is a equally (if not more) efficiant alternative that does not cost the earth. After all IMO the most important factor in a stalking bullet is its ability to kill quickly and humanely, meat damage comes later. I have started to look into alternative heads, as much as of interest as practicallity.

I imagine that if/when we have no legal alternative to non-lead bullets they will skyrocket in price though

Sam
    "Even at the very bottom of the river, I didn't think to myself, Is this a hearty joke or the merest accident? I just thought, it's wet." - Eeyore

this whole lead thing is a pointless waste of time.

people have been using lead for hundreds of years, most of the water pipes are still lead!

there is no alternative to lead which is as effective and cost effective.

the problems come when lead was in petrol. lead balls dont do any harm. one guy i read about had a lead bullet stuck in him since WW2 and didnt affect him in the slightest.

for gods sake please never say you dont have a problem with lead bans just cus it doesnt affect you personally!

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    This is a subject that's been covered a lot on the site in the past. For a brief flavour:

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...-Contamination

http://translate.google.co.uk/transl...Dcom.microsoft:*

willie_gunn (with credit due to MarkH and Jagare)

Interesting that this all comes out of the DI conference where the RSPB where bigging up the risk of lead poisoning of eagles through consumption of contaminated gralloch left on the hill. Apparently they got a heads up from some American raptor group doing studies in Arizona or someplace. The tone of the piece in ST was that a lead bullet ban is inevitable. Reading the piece was most informative in that the RSPB blurb was all about "could", "might" and "possibly" etc whereas Peter Green of BDS produced the latest research data which included the fact that some Greenlanders eating 30 lead shot duck a month - as in one every day! - still have body lead levels below the EU recommended limit. He pointed out that if you are talking about the relative health risk to humans of lead consumption we would be better of banning supermarket pies before contemplating a lead bullet ban for deer stalking. However he also recognises that this isn't about science, but about politically motivated agendas, so he reckons we can kiss lead bullets goodbye in the not too distant future.
    I do wonder who invited the swivel eyed raptor fascists to a DEER conference in the first place. Anybody complained about the inherent 'cruelty' of eagles driving hinds over cliffs and then feeding on the still living animal?