Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barnes? (Or Non Lead Bullet Heads)

Barnes? (Or Non Lead Bullet Heads)

Hullo All,

I read the article about a possible ban on Lead bullet heads in Shooting Times today. So I started thinking about alternatives. Im under the Impression the The Barnes X jobbie is leadless, is this right? If it is what sort of money are they for 6mm/6.5/.30 heads as Ive never seen them for sale before. Also how effective are they?

I also have in my head that Brenneke make alternative bullets, do they or is it a figure of my imagination?

Thanks

Sam
    "Even at the very bottom of the river, I didn't think to myself, Is this a hearty joke or the merest accident? I just thought, it's wet." - Eeyore

We have been looking at this for a little while, we found that the barnes copper fowl the barrel badly so we have been testing the hornaby GMX with gliding metal, it as not fowled as badly as the Barnes, still more testing to do, hopefuly we will use them on the reds later this year.

Has anyone esle been using the GMX on Roe if so what are your thoughts on the bullets expanding as they go through, if at all.

Gary

I'm going to have to go down this route too very soon due the amount of eagles we have...last thing we need is them keeling over with lead poisoning. They have done some very interesting work on lead in condors and ravens in California.
    http://www.jhnewsandguide.com/article.php?art_id=5671

Don't really understand why a copper jacketed bullet would foul a barrel any less than a solid copper bullet - I'm sure someone here knows.

As for price, Midway are listing them at around 32 per 50 for Barnes TSX in 6.5

Does anyone know a load for 6.5 Swede using H4831? (don't really want to buy another powder until this one runs out!)

Njc on this site has been using them, with great effect seemingly! Midway sell them;

http://www.midwayuk.com/apps/ebrowse...orystring=9315 *** 652 *** 19785 *** 9016 ***

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Hi
    I must admit I havent had problems with the Barnes TSX causing copper fouling problems but they do work really well. No excessive meat damage, kill things well and can be very accurate (0.5moa or less sometimes). I would suggest dropping a bullet weight compared to lead and try to push them relatively fast. I have used them with success in 22/250, 308 win and 7mm RM

S

Quote Originally Posted by flytie View Post
    Njc on this site has been using them, with great effect seemingly! Midway sell them;

http://www.midwayuk.com/apps/ebrowse...orystring=9315 *** 652 *** 19785 *** 9016 ***

ft
    How do you purchase from the flytie? it seems you order them on the web, which is illegal

Sam
    "Even at the very bottom of the river, I didn't think to myself, Is this a hearty joke or the merest accident? I just thought, it's wet." - Eeyore

Quote Originally Posted by Frax View Post
    I'm going to have to go down this route too very soon due the amount of eagles we have...last thing we need is them keeling over with lead poisoning. They have done some very interesting work on lead in condors and ravens in California.

Don't really understand why a copper jacketed bullet would foul a barrel any less than a solid copper bullet - I'm sure someone here knows.

Does anyone know a load for 6.5 Swede using H4831? (don't really want to buy another powder until this one runs out!)
    Don't buy into this lead VS wild life line. It's much along the liunes of Global Warming: limited studied aimed at proving a point. Notice the study didn't say what was a damaging level of lead for ravens? Nor did it say how they selected the ravens for the study. Maybe this paragraph will explain the reason for this publicized, very limited study:

"This past hunting season, researchers weren’t able to secure funding until the season started and therefore got a late start with the distribution of copper ammunition, said Derek Craighead, executive director and chairman of the board of Craighead Beringia South."

The next line says they are hoping for a wider study (read: more money) next year... at which point their data will be subject of for peer review.

I live in Montana. We have more raptors than you can shake a stick at including the highly protected Bald Eagle. The State has found no harm in lead cored bullets and has no plans on banning them. Unlike California which banned them on the basis of thin research. Even .22's are illegal. Lend these laws no willing favor or you poor fellows will find your shooting rights again impinged. Fair warning from an ex-California resident.~Muir

PS: Fill the case to the base of the bullet with 4831! Try www.hodgdon.com for the exact load. My 6.5's like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frax View Post

the rspb have got a short memory it was not that long ago that they removed a perfectly healthy golden eagle which was due to be released back to the wild after a long injury,it was returned to its falconer who saved its life a couple of weeks later only for it to die a week later,after tests had been done on the bird results had been high levels of lead in its body it had been given shot rabbits ,judge for yourself http://www.fieldsportschannel.tv/you...ive/index.html21st october 2009
    Last edited by cush; 28-03-2010 at 06:32. Reason: forgot to put date in

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    How do you purchase from the flytie? it seems you order them on the web, which is illegal
    Sam
    Sam, you need to have them sent to an RFD near you. If you go round your local RFD's and ask nicely, offer to pay the postage, and perhaps make a token purchase, they might just play ball with you. I am fortunate as a mate of mine is an RFD and he only lives 10 minutes up the road.

Sometimes rifle clubs or reloading clubs have orders with them and you can tack yours on to theirs.

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Quote Originally Posted by cush View Post
    the rspb have got a short memory it was not that long ago that they removed a perfectly healthy golden eagle which was due to be released back to the wild after a long injury,it was returned to its falconer who saved its life a couple of weeks later only for it to die a week later,after tests had been done on the bird results had been high levels of lead in its body it had been given shot rabbits ,judge for yourself http://www.fieldsportschannel.tv/you...ive/index.html21st october 2009
    I watched segments of the program but must have skipped over, or not found, the leadened eagle segment. You say they fed the bird lead shot via shot rabbits? Is that a reasonable basis for banning lead? Sounds like how our Food and Drug Administration banned sassafras root here: they fed concentrated amounts the main ingredient to lab rats -far more than a human would ever get in a life time, and found the rats had a tendancy towards cancer. So they banned it. The fact that people had been using it for hundreds of years with no ill effect had no bearing on the matter.~Muir