For Prostate Cancer UK and Musgrove Hospital Childrens Unit in Taunton.

basil

Distinguished Member
On Wednesday of last week I was out walking my two dogs along the Bridgwater and Taunton Canal, this was the scene of a 29 mile sponsored walk I did in 2010 for my Children`s Unit Hospital Charity. As I was walking I was thinking that I hadn`t done any fund raising of late, mainly due to some personal issues of my own and maybe it was time that I did something about it.
This week we have read the extremely sad post that Merlin had lost his dad to Prostate cancer and then realising how many people had been affected by this dreadful disease.
By kind permission of JAYB I can now announce that I will be doing that 29 mile walk again on the bank holiday of August 31st 2015.
All the proceeds that this event raises will be split 50/50 between Prostate Cancer UK and The Musgrove Park Children`s Unit in Taunton. Somerset.
The Bridgwater and Taunton Canal starts at the docks in Bridgwater and ends at Firepool Lock in Taunton where the canal meets the River Tone and is approximately 29 miles long from one end to the other and back. In 2010 it took me approximately 12.5 hours to complete and Sox, one of my dogs did the walk with me and the weather was perfect.
These are two very deserving charities so let`s make this the biggest fund raiser yet!

On Wednesday of last week I was out walking my two dogs along the Bridgwater and Taunton Canal, this was the scene of a 29 mile sponsored walk I did in 2010 for my Children`s Unit Hospital Charity. As I was walking I was thinking that I hadn`t done any fund raising of late, mainly due to some personal issues of my own and maybe it was time that I did something about it.
This week we have read the extremely sad post that Merlin had lost his dad to Prostate cancer and then realising how many people had been affected by this dreadful disease.
By kind permission of JAYB I can now announce that I will be doing that 29 mile walk again on the bank holiday of August 31st 2015.
All the proceeds that this event raises will be split 50/50 between Prostate Cancer UK and The Musgrove Park Children`s Unit in Taunton. Somerset.
The Bridgwater and Taunton Canal starts at the docks in Bridgwater and ends at Firepool Lock in Taunton where the canal meets the River Tone and is approximately 29 miles long from one end to the other and back. In 2010 it took me approximately 12.5 hours to complete and Sox, one of my dogs did the walk with me and the weather was perfect.
These are two very deserving charities so let`s make this the biggest fund raiser yet!

Well done.

I'll be happy to sponsor you.

Details of how to do so, please.

Steve.

Well done.

I'll be happy to sponsor you.

Details of how to do so, please.

Steve.
Thank you Steve.
Firstly I need to find an account which I can set up from which the charities will receive equal amounts.
As soon as that is done I will post the details.
John.

The other year on here several people donated a stalk which gathered into a package which went to the highest bidder which my mate Dom won is this worth doing again.??

The other year on here several people donated a stalk which gathered into a package which went to the highest bidder which my mate Dom won is this worth doing again.??
That auction was for a Red Stag portrait.
It would depend on whether the winner could cover all four corners of the UK. I don`t think anyone thought that that particular auction was going to reach such dizzy heights as two of those included was stalking in Australia (John) and one for some fishing also in Australia. (Donating members name escapes me)
At least individual auctions gives more people a chance location and financial wise)

Has anyone on the SD ever done a sponsored event that supported two charities at once?
I`m a little stuck as to where to turn to as to who or what to use to collect donations.
Thanks.
John.

Basil - this is a very kind gesture...however, if splitting is problematic, then I say focus solely upon the Children's Unit at Taunton. (....and I say that knowing that I'll be tapping up the SD membership later this year for Movember anyway!).

Raising a few bob for The Taunton unit will be a positive outcome in its own right, and as my Dad loved his 5 grandchildren, this will be quite appropriate anyway.

I'll sponsor you.

Basil - this is a very kind gesture...however, if splitting is problematic, then I say focus solely upon the Children's Unit at Taunton. (....and I say that knowing that I'll be tapping up the SD membership later this year for Movember anyway!).

Raising a few bob for The Taunton unit will be a positive outcome in its own right, and as my Dad loved his 5 grandchildren, this will be quite appropriate anyway.

I'll sponsor you.
Merlin. I will find a way of splitting the proceeds between both charities, i`m going over to the just giving site to see what they can offer.
I already have two auctions promised so it`ll all be up and running soon.
This is a map of the canal so this is 14.5 miles worth of the walk.

Last edited:

HI Bas, anything to do with fighting Cancer I,ll support, just let me have payment details and I will see what can be done in my part of the woods.

regards WB

Thank you for your patience gents. Mrs basil is in hospital with a chest infection, astma and breathing problems at the moment.
This has been a bit of a frustrating few days.
I`ve just come off the phone from just giving who have said I can`t set up a page for joint charities because of paying out issues.
What I`m going to have to do is set up a thread with a link to each charity and people can donate to one or the other or both. I`m not bothered if one charity gets more than the other as something is better than nothing. I may now have to enlist the help of Alex to put the links to both charities into one new thread as I haven`t a clue as to how that`s done.
Rodp. Thank you, I have seen your email. :tiphat:
John.

Hi Basil, I have just seen your last post re Mrs Basil. I hope she is recovering from her chest infection. As a local prson do let me know when your walk will be and If I am fit and available I would love to join you for a small part of the walk with Coco our cockerspanial.

Do keep us informed of your plans and best wishes to Mrs B. regards SBM

Back