Thread: goats

goats

Been asked to clear out a group of 6-8 feral goats in a friend's (large) garden.

What would people recommend as a minimum calibre?

Would .222 be adequate? It would be short range (60 yards at most).

I would say so, but if you have the option of something like 22-250 or .243 that might be a better option? At that range, head & neck shots would be the best option too, surely? Are you getting to keep the meat, just out of interest? I've never tried it, but I've heard it's superb
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

Goats are pretty easy to kill relative to deer. I'd use a hard 55grn pill in a 222. I reload about 500 rounds each year for an ole mate's 222 who is up the road from mine, these are just for feral goats (he gets the "odd" pig too but they usually need follow ups). I buy the "highland" (is that your PPU brand?) 55grn projectiles in "bulk". I must really like him, as I hate those bloody small rifle primers (mental note buy him a 22 250). These 55grn'rs break the offside shoulder without problems from a 222. I use a 22 250 on goats often with 63 grn speer's, also without dramas. Our feral goats can run up to 100kg in a big stinker.

Sharkey
    "Men Who Stare at Deer."

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsmoke View Post
    I would say so, but if you have the option of something like 22-250 or .243 that might be a better option? At that range, head & neck shots would be the best option too, surely? Are you getting to keep the meat, just out of interest? I've never tried it, but I've heard it's superb
    I've eaten a lot of goat over the years (grew up in Africa and worked there a lot since).

It can be delicious. More often it is categorically not!

Young animal, especially female, prepared well = succulent, quite strongly flavoured (but in a pleasantly interesting way), a pleasure to eat.
    Any other = old boot leather marinaded in axle grease tasting of...goat. Tasting so much of GOAT that you smell of it for some time after.

To illustrate: during my PhD in Uganda, I once took the bus into Kampala to meet my then girlfriend off the plane. I ate some roast goat on a stick at one of the roadside stands on the way. Got to Kampala, had 2 showers, changed clothes, brushed teeth etc. Met girlfriend at airport. Big hug and kiss. Then gf recoils in horror, pushes me to arms length and exclaims 'Matt! You fu*king stink!". Lovely to see you too, dear.

So either heaven or hell then?

Not had the opportunity to try it myself, but I always had it in my head it would be somewhat like mutton.
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

We call the males "stinkers" for a reason. "I don't care how big the horns are, I ain't touching that! & you're not putting it in the truck" lol. However, the young does are great to eat, especially if they have some "Boer" in their blood. I find lamb way too fatty for my palate, but young goat has the same flavour without the greasy mouth feel. I really like it, & its also great in curries & a few other asian dishes. We get good money for our "rangeland" (fancy name for feral) goats if you can muster them, more than for venison ATM.

Sharkey
    "Men Who Stare at Deer."

If adequate backstop use 243 and put them down more effectively .222 abit on the light side ES

Ive been culling ferals a number of years here in Donegal for farmers, at the ranges your talking about the 222 will be fine, stick to head and neck...

Shot 7 once, more or less as fast as I could reload in the Scottish Borders. All were between 40m & 80m & the .243 with 85g HP dropped them all in their tracks with only one requiring a second shot & it was anchored anyway.

That was the last time I fired an unmoderated rifle without ear defenders!

Their big shaggy coats can be quite dense so I'd be tempted by the 243 but I'm sure a .222 will work too.

I found it a rather disturbing experience (even though I'd been asked to do it) as the goats really didn't know what was going on & were running around in circles letting me shoot one after another. It took 10 years before I could smell Feta cheese without gagging. I've eaten young goat in a restaurant before & it was ok in a curry but I'd choose most other meats first.

Personally, I wouldn't do it if I couldn't leave the bodies where they fell as the stench is unimaginably horrible & as you know will stay with you (and your vehicle) for a very, very long time.

PS If you HAVE to do this, consider renting a trailer.