Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on Poncho

Advice on Poncho

I am considering purchase of a poncho for the warmer but wet weather ahead when sitting out. Critical reviews by members with experience of these, together with recommended makes would be appreciated.

Go to a surplus store for an army issue one, cheap and robust, may need some extendable poles to go with it.
    "Eagles may soar, but, Weasels don't get sucked in to jet engines" Anon

Ponchos are great for sitting out - you can sit with the rifle or shotgun (wildfowling etc) across your lap underneath the front keeping it & your hands dry whilst you wait in ambush. Very cosy in foul weather! -- Not so convenient for walking about as they make it dificult to carry the rifle over the shoulder & can blow about a bit if it is windy & make you look big/bulky when moving.
    I have a dull green pukka silent material one made of a soft, thin rubbery faced cloth that I bought in Sweden many moons ago & an ex army one that is heavy waterproof nylon which is a bit noisy in use --- But I haven't had evidence of the noise upsetting the deer as I only wear it when it's p!!ing down & the noise of the rain masks my noises.
    The flektarn camo ones look like a good idea as do the snow camo ones for winter time.

Ian

It might be worth asking this question on somewhere like BushcraftUK just because it is the sort of gear that would more commonly be used by bushcrafters rather than stalkers.

BushcraftUK: Community Forum
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

I carry a Swiss army poncho in the back boot . Very handy for spreading out for lying out or zeroing also very waterproof and not noisy. You'll pick one up from eBay for a tenner...

Atb scott

One thing I can tell you is that whatever you choose, at least you have the certainty that it's impossible to be unhappy whilst wearing a poncho:

Quote Originally Posted by bigscott270 View Post
    I carry a Swiss army poncho
    Does it also have a corkscrew, magnifying glass, bottle opener, nail file, etc, etc, etc?
    See my blog for - My kindly sponsored DSC1 course and chart my progress from deer virgin to stalking veteran
    AND my new puppy progress DIARY
    Blog

Evening pinkfoot1,

I use a jervenduken, by far the best on the market, the Norwegian army are supplied with these, World Wide Webshop - Jerven AS

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSimon View Post
    Does it also have a corkscrew, magnifying glass, bottle opener, nail file, etc, etc, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by david1 View Post
    Evening pinkfoot1,

I use a jervenduken, by far the best on the market, the Norwegian army are supplied with these, World Wide Webshop - Jerven AS
    Gentlemen, thank you for your input. The Jerven gear looks amazing, I only wish it had been around 40 yrs ago when I was not infrequently bivoucking at 10,000ft in the Alps. For me it will be the basic Jerven.