Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the future of roe

the future of roe

just wondering what people thought of the future of roe, only asking as around me there seems to be far to much pressure on them and if im honest i think they are suffering. if im honest i would say they are the easiest of deer to damage as far as numbers go just by there nature and ease of stalking, this doe season i have only shot two or three and i havnt gone stalking in over a month as i dont feel that the numbers are there to warrent taking anymore, even on areas i dont stalk where i would see roe as i would be driving along numbers seem to be seriously down on years gone by and i was wondering if others had seen the same

Absolutely no shortage in my area if anything they are on the increase, how long have you been seeing a drop in numbers, is it something that's been happening for a while or just an annual fluctuation, bad weather at birthing
    or soon after in a worst case senario can result in as much as 90% of that years youngsters being lost which can have a dramatic effect on cull numbers for that year.

There were lots around here but of late on 1 farm i know of a guy shooting anything he can with a 17hmr. Dont see many around now and if you do and your in a car they are off!

you will always have local differences but there seems to be a general consensus by people that know what they are doing that roe is easily over managed. (aka Germans who meticulously count and keep records of every single individual.) If over hunted it takes roe a lot longer to bounce back to a decent level, quite often 5 years or more. I guess they are less resilient that way if you compare them with other species. Also I personally count roe as a niche species that only populates specific niches in the countryside and therefore hardly ever completely overpopulate an area like others do.

Regular Poster
    Where there are more Muntjac than you can shake a stick at
    We have good numbers of roe here (Norfolk), always good to see them in numbers and I'm optimistic for them, and that's despite the inevitable road kills, idiot poachers (found a pricket head just recently on private land, the poacher would have been a certificate holder), rising numbers of Muntjac, and over 'managing' by greedy commercial stalking interests.

Numbers in the north are rising with out a shadow of a doubt see more and shot more this winter than any other year, and I have been asked to by 2 more land owners to cull as they aren't happy with the Numbers they are seeing !!!. In 2 fields of rape I seen 21 roe in 5 family groups

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    how long have you been seeing a drop in numbers, is it something that's been happening for a while or just an annual fluctuation, bad weather at birthing
    prob the last 3 or 4 years

Quote Originally Posted by dan71 View Post
    There were lots around here but of late on 1 farm i know of a guy shooting anything he can with a 17hmr. Dont see many around now and if you do and your in a car they are off!
    This surely cant mean shooting everything inc Roe with a hmr?

Account Suspended
    There is less in my area. Under a lot of pressure from shooting rather than "managing"
    Grounds can be so small one Roe might be in the sights of half a dozen guns. Every one thinking it on their ground.
    So impossible to manage.
    It's different up country when people talk about 20,30,40 thousand acres that's bigger than Somerset.
    I counted 32 roe early last year on my small area now I can count 3. They will be gone this spring.

Quote Originally Posted by rick6point5 View Post
    This surely cant mean shooting everything inc Roe with a hmr?
    Wouldn't be surprised, an estate not too far from me despatched a couple of fallow does a while back with .17 rounds in the haunches.