Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 357/38 special underlever

357/38 special underlever

Hi all. I am planning on expanding on my caliber collection by adding a 357/38 special underlever. Do you have any suggestions as to makes, models and things to be aware of? I will be buying new. Many thanks.

Marlin Cowboy Limited with 24" octagon barrel.
    You will struggle to get a Marlin,but will get a Remlin easily.
    Good luck.

Thanks. I have seen the octagon barrels and they look good. Are there any advantages to them over the regular round ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Psyxologos View Post
    Thanks. I have seen the octagon barrels and they look good. Are there any advantages to them over the regular round ones?
    Yes, they look kool.
    Seriously though,they are lookers.

I like my Uberti "Winchester" 1873...shoots really well. Just don't expect it to like full pressure 357 Magnum all of the time as the action isn't the strongest.

I load either Trail Boss or Vectan Ba10 with 158grain Truncated Cones.

Quote Originally Posted by Barkingsnake View Post
    I like my Uberti "Winchester" 1873...shoots really well. Just don't expect it to like full pressure 357 Magnum all of the time as the action isn't the strongest.

I load either Trail Boss or Vectan Ba10 with 158grain Truncated Cones.
    Is that particular to the Uberti or for the caliber in general?

Quote Originally Posted by BRYAN View Post
    Marlin Cowboy Limited with 24" octagon barrel.
    You will struggle to get a Marlin,but will get a Remlin easily.
    Good luck.
    If you decide to go 2nd hand I have one of these original Marlins, made by Marlin that I am thinking of selling in the near future, drop me a PM if interested, they are a good investment as the original Marlins are very sought after and my club owner keeps telling me to keep hold of it but i just don't use it and would rather put the money to something I would use.

They are great guns, very well made, I think mine holds 13 rds of 38 special or around 10 357 mags, the action has been blue printed so super slick, you won't go wrong with the Marlins as they are side ejecting compared to some other makes

Does the choice depend on what it's wanted for, I wonder?

I have the Marlin-made Marlin 1894 SC which my father bought after they took the pistols away, and it is .357/.38, because that's what one of the pistols was.

At the club where I shoot it the competitions are out to 100yds, and overwhelmingly folk use .44 or .45 of various kinds - so if I'd bought it deliberately for that, I'd probably have gone for the large bore.

Having said that, .357 shoots well enough and is cheaper to run!

As I understand it more the 1873 action.

1892 or 1894 is stronger action (looking at it an 1892 looks difficult to scope rather than the 94)

Thinking about one myself

Action design: works fine with the more run of the mill cartridges but wasn't design for "rifle pressures" out of the 357 Magnum factory load.
    The lock is just a toggle link and, unlike a Maxim gun, isn't that beefy. It will take the load BUT not advised (use Google and check out the American Cowboy blogs).
    I really like my Carbine and a friend has a really nice rifle length version.