Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Winchester brass

  1. #1

    Winchester brass

    I have some once fired 308 Winchester cases that are the remnants of some factory rounds I had used recently. Do any of you have experience reloading this brass? Wondered if I can get some decent reloads from them and use them a few times. Normally I reload Lapua but am considering using the Winchester brass.
    Am curious to see what people think.

  2. #2
    Since you've got it, use it. However, I'll not buy any more as the 200 30-06 caases I bought we, hmmm, cr4p at best. The case is ok but the pockets _all_ needed reaming to get the primers in (and before some smart arse states it, I tried Winchester, CCI, Federal and Remington).
    Bought brass wise I go for PPU these days.

  3. #3
    I once bought 300 new 45-70 cases. Among those I had 9 that could not be used. Some had no rim while others had no flash holes. I will never buy winchester again.

    BTW: individual casing weights varied significantly so they were never used in BPCR competition.

    SS

  4. #4
    Thanks to all.
    Might just clean them, weigh and measure them up. Sounds like I could save some time and throw them away.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by 762Scot View Post
    Thanks to all.
    Might just clean them, weigh and measure them up. Sounds like I could save some time and throw them away.
    Don't do that until you have tried them. While Winchester like Remington are not known as being the best, they normally produce down to a price rather than for quality, they still produce quite useable brass.
    I had some .222 cases made by Winchester which while not the most consistant actually lasted much longer than a batch of Lapua cases that I bought from new for quite a bit more. The Winchester cases did however benefit greatly from having the insides of the primer holes cleaned up. At the ranges that I shoot at (up to 300 yards) the Winchester cases work just fine in a variety of calibres.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

  6. #6
    IMHO & experience --- Properly prepared, weight selected & annealed after 3 loading cycles they work just fine - Not talking precision long range or bench rest here - just normal stalking/club competition grade applications.

    Most people who decry Winchester, PPU etc & insist on Lapua uber quality don't make better ammo than someone who just does it right -- There's a lot of snobbery about & a lot of misguided souls who believe the hype.

    Ian

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorric View Post
    IMHO & experience --- Properly prepared, weight selected & annealed after 3 loading cycles they work just fine - Not talking precision long range or bench rest here - just normal stalking/club competition grade applications.

    Most people who decry Winchester, PPU etc & insist on Lapua uber quality don't make better ammo than someone who just does it right -- There's a lot of snobbery about & a lot of misguided souls who believe the hype.

    Ian
    For most of my CF shooting I use Star Line brass but it is hard an requires annealinig before the first use. For common calibers like 308 I use whatever comes to hand and since I spent a good deal of time in Europe it includes RWS, S&B, PPU, Norma, Remington, and US military. Annealing has frequently improves the performance of much of this regardless of manufacture. I don't have a favorite, I just try to use all the same for a particular batch of ammo.

    SS

  8. #8
    given what you can get once fired in other brands that do not have the QC issues why start with them?

    whack em in the classifieds, someone more enamoured with Win brass or looking to make up a batch will pay you and it will go towards some better stuff

    personally I only use norma
    but I am a snob and stuck in my ways
    Federal and Remington, lapua and Norma are all available

    in fact a 100 once fired Lapua in 308 is less than 30 IIRC

  9. #9
    Thanks to all for the input. Gives pause for thought. I have plenty of new Lapua cases but... I may just experiment with 20 to see what they do am curious to see how much each case varies... now all I need is a bit of time at the loading bench. Thanks again.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by 762Scot View Post
    Thanks to all for the input. Gives pause for thought. I have plenty of new Lapua cases but... I may just experiment with 20 to see what they do am curious to see how much each case varies... now all I need is a bit of time at the loading bench. Thanks again.
    You will learn a lot about the quality by putting each on a scale and weighing them.

    SS

Similar Threads

  1. For Sale .308 Winchester brass
    By Max in forum Reloading
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 16-12-2014, 20:56
  2. Wanted .308 Winchester Brass
    By SA shooter in forum Reloading
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19-08-2014, 16:04
  3. For Sale Winchester .204 brass
    By Tomm in forum Reloading
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15-09-2013, 17:12
  4. For Sale .222 winchester brass
    By 1967spud in forum Reloading
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-06-2013, 17:36
  5. For Sale .308 Winchester brass.
    By stag1933 in forum Reloading
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-10-2011, 20:27

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •