Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Not cleaning a rifle

Not cleaning a rifle

Like a lot of rifles mine throw the bullet to a different poi when it's been fired from clean to the following shots.
    So if I've been out and got a fox I think...I'll leave cleaning it as now it'll be consistent for subsequent shots.
    The question is..how long is it ok to leave it uncleaned before any harm is done?.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

Depends...damp day...warm house...sweaty hands etc etc.
    I was horrified to sind my 30-06 had got a dose of roughness after WD40'ing the insides (inc barrel) and leaving it in the cabinet for a few days without giving it my usual scrubbing.
    I won't do that again as a new Krieger won't be cheap.

Zero it to shoot where pointing from a cold and clean barrel??

If you get it wet you won't want to put it back in cabinet without cleaning/drying out the bore which leaves you with a poorly zeroed rifle?

Just food for thought.

K
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

I went for years cleaning my rifles with various fluids and potions and as you say, all of them had to be fired once before I went into the field to get the zero back on. A real pain in the arse.

I was in Riflecraft one day and Andrew was waxing lyrical about this new cleaning fluid he hod found in the US and was going to import and label as Riflecraft Bore Cleaner. He swore that it was exceptionally efficient at removing copper deposits (you can't even use copper jags or brushes as it dissolves them) yet he guaranteed that the first shot through would be bang on zero every time.

I have used it for 4 years now. Does exactly what he claims.
    So much to learn and so little time left

Depends on your usage, however, for me, the first cold shot is the most important - sometimes it's the only shot of the day.

Mine gets a bore snake through it every time I come in - then every six months they get the wipe out treatment, which I find very good and doesn't seem to knock anything out of kilter....

I've found that if you shoot good factory / home loaded ammo then the above is good - anything inefficient where you're left with unburnt propellant etc in the barrel is not ammunition you want to be using, imho....

C2R (or M98) is meant to do the same thing, ie complete copper removal and no need for fouling shots. I'll have to give one of these products a try, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by NigelM View Post
    I went for years cleaning my rifles with various fluids and potions and as you say, all of them had to be fired once before I went into the field to get the zero back on. A real pain in the arse.

I was in Riflecraft one day and Andrew was waxing lyrical about this new cleaning fluid he hod found in the US and was going to import and label as Riflecraft Bore Cleaner. He swore that it was exceptionally efficient at removing copper deposits (you can't even use copper jags or brushes as it dissolves them) yet he guaranteed that the first shot through would be bang on zero every time.

I have used it for 4 years now. Does exactly what he claims.
    Might you remember the name of this magical product?, or is it as you say re labelled to Riflecraft bore cleaner?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I'm not 'buying' this makes a rifle shoot from a fouled barrel where it would not before, bore cleaner/conditioner malarkey.

K

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    Might you remember the name of this magical product?, or is it as you say re labelled to Riflecraft bore cleaner?
    yes relabelled to riflecraft bore cleaner Riflecraft Bore Cleaner - Maintenance - Gun Shop, Shotguns, Rifles, Pistols, Air Rifles, Airguns, Gun Trader, Rifle Scopes, Accessories, Cabinets, Safes in Dorset and Devon, UK, Sportsman Gun Centre
    it is this stuff but relabelled.
    Bore Cleaner

i rate the one from SGC a but never tried anything else so can't make a comparison!