Thread: Advice for visiting sportsmen

Advice for visiting sportsmen

As a visiting sportsmen interested in deer stalking and talking red, roe and fallow (Sika too if possible?) where would a good location be where multiple species can be taken in 4-7 days stalking? Im looking at early August to this trip. Would definitely prefer wilder areas for stalking as opposed to heavy farmland. Am not after gold medal animals but decent bucks perhaps upto bronze.
    Any flyfishing for trout close to the accommodation and stalking area would be great for downtime when not actually out after deer. (Stillwater fishery as opposed to a fancy river beat).

Any advise as to locations, estates, outfitters would be highly appreciated.

Thank you
    Ali.

Hi Ali,

Probably, the best place would be Scotland for 4 of the species, you would struggle to stalk muntjacs and Chinese water deer in Scotland....there is non in Scotland, you will have to move down Bedfordshire area, your best bet its to contact Sikamalc on this site, Malcolm will point you in the right direction.

Good luck
    Mark

You are perhaps being a little unrealistic to expect to shoot four species in four to seven days, apart from that
    I don't know anywhere that you have a good chance of shooting all four.
    Early August could be OK for a Roe Buck providing it is early August as the rut is usually over by the second week, once the Rut is over its all but impossible to find a decent Buck for a month or more.

August is to early for the other species as they will still be in velvet, best time for Red and Sika would be mid September until end of season.

There are only a few places in Scotland that have Fallow and you are unlikely to find somewhere that has them that also have Red and Sika, habitat requirements are a bit different for a start.

What you want might be possible if you are prepared to travel, and perhaps quite long distances, then best arranged through an agent, I know of no single estate that can provide stalking for Red, Sika and Fallow.
    Last edited by bogtrotter; 03-03-2015 at 11:28.

SD Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by alimufti View Post
    As a visiting sportsmen interested in deer stalking and talking red, roe and fallow (Sika too if possible?) where would a good location be where multiple species can be taken in 4-7 days stalking? Im looking at early August to this trip. Would definitely prefer wilder areas for stalking as opposed to heavy farmland. Am not after gold medal animals but decent bucks perhaps upto bronze.
    Any flyfishing for trout close to the accommodation and stalking area would be great for downtime when not actually out after deer. (Stillwater fishery as opposed to a fancy river beat).

Any advise as to locations, estates, outfitters would be highly appreciated.

Thank you
    Ali.
    Given your overall requirements, I would say Hampshire is a good area to go. Plenty of Roe and Fallow, plus Sika in the New Forest. There may be some small pockets of Red towards Dorset. The River Test is some of the finest fishing there is and is in the centre of the area.

Hope this helps
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

All four species are possible, but in August it would be a tall order. In the past I used to run 14 to 16 day hunts for all 6 species. The only reasonable time of year to achieve this is mid September to the end. However CWD now have a season attached so it is not possible.
    I think you will have to re look at your expectations and dates. However if you wish to discuss anything please let me know and I will do my best to help.

You can also go to our website UK Outfitters Deer Management
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to www.UKOutfitters.co.uk

ZEISS PRO STALKER.

Scottish hill stalking for red deer stags is the "iconic" British stalking experience and is something maybe a little bit different from what you see other places.

Given this it may make sense to go for quality of experience rather than quantity. I don't know how your priorities stack up but I'd rather shoot one or two red stags in some spectacular location after having worked hard for them, climbed the hills, and enjoyed the day out rather than jump out of the car, lean on the bonnet and bag another one of my six. To shoot all 6 in less than a week you are not going to have time for stalking or getting onto the ground as it's going to simply be a matter of shooting as fast as you can, and at the first thing you see.

Now August isn't an ideal time for red stags so the later you can push your plans the better but if you were to manage a week, or so, in some nice Scottish highland area with maybe 2 or 3 days at stags (unless you are very fit you may not be able to stalk on the hill on successive days) that would give you time to get to know the ground so you weren't just walking an unknown bit of ground behind a stalker. It would also allow for bad weather as you are unlikely to get a whole week written off. If you are coming to the UK to stalk then go as far north and west as you can, don't end up walking around some farmers field under a motorway bridge as your once in a lifetime experience.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    Scottish hill stalking for red deer stags is the "iconic" British stalking experience and is something maybe a little bit different from what you see other places.

Given this it may make sense to go for quality of experience rather than quantity. I don't know how your priorities stack up but I'd rather shoot one or two red stags in some spectacular location after having worked hard for them, climbed the hills, and enjoyed the day out rather than jump out of the car, lean on the bonnet and bag another one of my six. To shoot all 6 in less than a week you are not going to have time for stalking or getting onto the ground as it's going to simply be a matter of shooting as fast as you can, and at the first thing you see.

Now August isn't an ideal time for red stags so the later you can push your plans the better but if you were to manage a week, or so, in some nice Scottish highland area with maybe 2 or 3 days at stags (unless you are very fit you may not be able to stalk on the hill on successive days) that would give you time to get to know the ground so you weren't just walking an unknown bit of ground behind a stalker. It would also allow for bad weather as you are unlikely to get a whole week written off. If you are coming to the UK to stalk then go as far north and west as you can, don't end up walking around some farmers field under a motorway bridge as your once in a lifetime experience.

This post says it all, far better to do one thing and do it right.
    Highland stalking is different than other types of stalking, and something that every stalker should try at least once IMO

Take a few days at it to get the full advantage of the experience.
    Last edited by bogtrotter; 03-03-2015 at 13:05.