Thread: .308 Just for NV

.308 Just for NV

I am looking at getting another .308 for a dedicated NV rig.

Reason for .308 is for boar sometimes. Mostly will be used for fox though. (Already have .22-250 as day/lamp rig)

Looking at getting a Tikka Super Varmint in terms of recoil with this how bad would it be? My .308 Sako 75 (sporter barrel) I have at the moment is quite tame with a atec maximum mod. So was thinking the super varmint would be like a pussy cat, will go with a heavy as possible mod, possibly a wildcat.

Does any one have a .308 Super Varmint and how does it perform? I've havd a few Tikkas before and they've been great.

i have a 85 sporter and the other day i picked up a friends varmint stainless tikka expecting it to dislocate my arm but to be honest its nigh on the same weight as my sako so i doubt there will be much differnce in recoil at all with your 75, as for .308 and night vision ive heard it being used before on foxes especially where a low mag night vision unit is used and longer range foxes being a little bit lost behind the cross hair and the .308 is delivering such a punch its making up for the lack of bullet placment, i cant say i fully agree with the theroy tho

Hi Beno,

I have a Tikka T3 Varmint in .308 win with an ASE Utra JetZ and find it absolutely fine to shoot, the heavy barrel and all steel mod keeps the muzzle & recoil down, if you're anywhere near me you're more than welcome to come and try it.

cheers Neil.

You might want to check recoil resistance of your NV as I believe some tubed scopes are readily damaged by recoil

Unless you intend on using 110gr v maxs the 308 its to much gun for lamping, faster flat shooting is best for lamping excluding using it on boar

Quote Originally Posted by beno View Post
    I am looking at getting another .308 for a dedicated NV rig.

Reason for .308 is for boar sometimes. Mostly will be used for fox though. (Already have .22-250 as day/lamp rig)

Looking at getting a Tikka Super Varmint in terms of recoil with this how bad would it be? My .308 Sako 75 (sporter barrel) I have at the moment is quite tame with a atec maximum mod. So was thinking the super varmint would be like a pussy cat, will go with a heavy as possible mod, possibly a wildcat.

Does any one have a .308 Super Varmint and how does it perform? I've havd a few Tikkas before and they've been great.
    Ive got a tikka t3 super varmint in .308 with a pepper pot muzzle brake on it. Recoil is fine- especially when compared to the Parker hale .308 I've been shooting!!the muzzle brake doesn't half kick up some mud mind!!
    mitch

Quote Originally Posted by srvet View Post
    You might want to check recoil resistance of your NV as I believe some tubed scopes are readily damaged by recoil
    Deffo something to consider, what NV are you thinking of using?

regards WB

Drone pro or a ATN night arrow 6

The recoil you feel when you squeeze the trigger is not the recoil that does the damage. Yeah, I know it doesn't make sense but the damaging recoil is already done when you feel the recoil. I read something about is somewhere.
    the easiest thing is to ask the manufacture if he recommends it on your calibre.
    i know the starlight archer and longbow are capable, but can't tell you about the others.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .